Friday, January 6, 2012

Thursday

Frost was everywhere as I rode out to the rec this AM; roof tops, car tops, yards but the big oaks around my garden saved the plants from any visible ice. The morning started out in the 30's but eventually by the afternoon somewhere in the high 60's maybe even low 70's. We opened the the windows after having the heat on most of the morning. Chester woke us up around 5 AM so I snuggled under the extra blanket until nearly 6 AM before venturing out to get ready for my ride to the rec. After a spot of HOT green tea and my quiet time I ate a bowl of warm oatmeal then bundled up for the ride. Only my legs and face was exposed as it was really chilly.

We had a full crowd today at pickle ball with some great play and there were lots of wet shirts, after 2 1/2 hours I headed home to check on the gardens. At first I was startled to see so much frost everywhere as it was supposed to be not as cold as the night before so I didn't cover my tomato's or herbs; but as I said before the canopy of the big oak save my garden. I watered really good as wet ground stays warmer than dry soil and with the wind yesterday the roots dried out fast in this sandy soil.

Amy and the kids were going to the park to play and have a picnic with some of Ava's school mates so Nancy and I took off for Sam's as we are having a family supper on Friday night. We are having Bobby and the family for an overnighter as they are attending an Amway conference in Clearwater over the weekend, and they will stay with us as well, as will Ava so the girls can play together. That will make it easier than driving back to Riverview late at night plus it will give the kids a chance to play with one another. Should be a busy, fun week end and the weather is supposed to be gorgeous with lows in the 50's and highs in the 70's and no rain.

Well I finished THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE by Steig Larrson and I must say he was an interesting author with never a dull page; too bad he has passed on. I'm really looking forward to reading the first and last book in the trilogy. I sat outside in the sun and read for a couple hours before picking lettuces, kale , beet greens and a green pepper for a large salad. We were having chicken fried deer cube steak(thanks once again to the Dalton's) along with Jasmine rice, Brussel sprouts and a nice milk gravy I made from the deer drippings, WOW that is some good eatin' and so good for you. No hormones, steroids and god only knows what else our beef is fed to make then bigger, fatter and pleasing to the eye at the market, anyhow if I had my choice of red meat I would take venison anytime.

Well after supper and the clean up we walked across the street to Carol Heckman's house as her number 3 daughter, Toni and her husband Mark are visiting for a couple weeks and we try to get together to play games with them. They are the folks who taught us Golf(card game) and last night they taught us a new way of playing Mexican train domino's. Wow was it ever different and fun. Nancy cleaned up again with a big win and girls won in the 5 games of Sequence; once again I had to play a "Harvey hand" as we were one guy short. The gals won in a squeaker with lots of table talk in the fifth and deciding game. We headed home around 9:30 after 9 rounds of domino's.

Well Nancy's dad is about the same as she tried to speak with him over the phone. He is alert and eating but the fluid has really progressed up to the chest cavity and surrounding his heart. He has accepted the fact there isn't much that can be done at this point because of all his maladies, but he is still lucid and alert. Thanks to all of you who continue and have kept him in your thoughts and prayers, LATER.

No comments: