Saturday, January 14, 2012

Friday

Well the weather sure changed here in sunny Florida on Friday with another front moving through the area and a drastic change in temps. The morning was much the usual with 5 AM wake up from big beak Chester, my quiet time, a bowl of oatmeal with all kinds of fresh berries and a banana before jumping on the bike for a ride to the rec. I did 2 1/2 hours of pickle ball play with a few breaks but not many as we had a big crowd today with lots of good rallies. The rec is closed on Monday for MLK Day so I will have to find something else to expend my energy on. Anyhow after the work out I stopped off at the library for a couple reads for over the weekend before pedalling home.

Those pesky squirrels know how to trip my traps and still eat the bait and love to set on the back fence with a green tomato in their paws eating it. I shoot at them with the BB gun but as soon as the back door opens they high tail it out of there so I very seldom am able to hit them on the run, and when I do it only stings them. Oh well I don't mind sharing with the wild life but this is getting out of hand as they don't completely eat what they bite, so they ruin them all. I have resorted to picking the green ones and putting them in the window but the taste is not the same, oh well.

I think I mention in the post that was some how cut into on Thursday that I made fried cabbage for supper the other night. Wow was that ever good. Nancy wasn't to interested at first but she changed her mind after tasting it. I think the idea of frying something turned her off but really what your doing is sauteing it. Here is my recipe; 2 or 3 slices of bacon cut into bite sizes fried in a skillet, 1/2 chopped onion(I used a sweet one and this is optional), add a little sea salt, black pepper and crisp it up especially the bacon, I took a large home grown cabbage and halved it and chopped it into bite size pieces and added to the skillet mixture, mixed that up and add a few red pepper flakes and cover at low heat for about 20-30 minutes, occasionally mixing until the cabbage is no longer crunchy but not soggy either. Yikes does that ever compliment a dish. Nancy really liked it and I can remember that along with fried cornbread made a wonderful inexpensive meal when I was single and just getting by. That's and old country dish I learned when living in N.C.

Well on a more somber note Nancy's dad is coming to the end of his life as he can hardly breathe. Hospice has taken over and is making his last few days left comfortable. We have begun to make arrangements here in Florida for various things to assist when he is shipped back here for burial. I suspect that would occur sometime in the next week or even days. She did speak to him by phone again on Friday afternoon but for just a few seconds. He is still lucid but sleeps constantly due to the morphine which is helping to ease the pain that is associated with being unable to breathe. He reaffirmed he had asked Jesus into his life so that helps with all the fear that's goes along with death here on earth. All we can hope for is that we will all who believe be reunited on the other side. Keep Nancy's family in your thoughts and prayers and especially her mom as she is still not a believer and the sting of losing her mate of 60 plus years will be hard on her.

Well Saturday will find Nancy and I babysitting for Ava and Sam as Amy and Tyler get a night out together. They had planned this last weekend but we had to change that because of all the activities with Bob and his family,LATER

No comments: