Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tuesday Morning

Well Monday was an interesting day which finally by night fall rain had come to our area. That's the first wet weather we have had since being back from the mountains. It was overcast and very humid most all day and we eventually had to turn the a/c back on. The morning started out after our quiet times and the usual bowl of oatmeal with blueberries and a banana. I was still coughing up a little phlem first thing in the mornings so I decided to wait a few more days before chancing the crowd at pickle ball.

I headed out to spend the next 2 hours working in the garden where I really worked up a sweat. I hoed everything, pulled weeds and put my potted tomatoes in the ground. Some of the them were starting to set fruit so I planted 3 of them into the ground still in the pots. Maybe this will help with keeping the nematodes from the roots. I did plant some marigolds along side of the tomato's. I then fed all of the plants a diluted portion of liquid fertilizer. The butter crunch lettuce which looked as if I might lose them are starting to come back as result of feeding them every couple days.

We will be eating collards next week as they have really taken off. The herbs are starting to finally produce especially the sweet basil, parsley and cilantro. So far despite the week or so I was unable to give the garden any attention I think most everything will make to some degree. The icicle radishes are up and look healthy as do the Swiss chard. I'm disappointed my kale never really took off but I have 4 seedlings that are trying to make. I think my seeds are old and need to be replaced.

I got up on the roof and took the leaf blower and blew all the debris that had accumulated there over the summer. I found out that by leaving the build up of leaves in the alley of the roof that will start the eventual break down of the sub-structure especially when it holds moisture. It looked as if it was going to rain all day so I wanted to get those leaves blown off before it rained. I noticed that while we hadn't had any rain for weeks, where the leaves were laying on the roof in the alley's there was some moisture, yikes. This time of the year the leaves are really starting to fall as well as the dead limbs.

Amy, Sam and GG came for lunch. GG had a doctors appointment at 2 as she has developed a stopped up ear. Amy dropped her off and Nancy then picked her up taking her to the grocery store on the way home. It was almost dark out by 4:30 as the rain clouds were on the way. It finally rained and we had severe weather warning in the area until nearly 7:30. It was a fast moving storm which cleared out quickly, but did leave us some soft rain until it was bed time. We are supposed to get more rain later in the evening tonight as another front moves this way. It seems the northern part of the country is finally getting some winter weather with lots of snow and cold temps. We are supposed to cool down a little in the next few days but nothing dramatic, LATER

No comments: