Thursday, October 27, 2011

Wednesday

Once again it turned out to be another beautiful day although the temps and humidity rose a little more and if it gets any more muggier we will have the a/c back on, but that's Florida. The garden sure loves this weather except for no rain in the past couple weeks, luckily I have a shallow well with what appears to be plenty of water; so I can water my yard and gardens daily. The morning was the usual with the "fowl wake up", my quiet time and then a bowl of Cheerios with fruit then a ride out to the rec for a couple hours of pickle ball. We had a full crew today with some fast, exciting and long rallies. Wow, our group of players have become great players and so much improvement in their games, its really a great game for exercise and fitness.

Well after the rec I headed home to work in the back garden; transplanting more lettuce and flower seedlings. I now have yellow squash breaking ground and I need to transplant kale seedlings as well in the next couple days. The Swiss chard is putting on a third and fourth leave so I need to get them in the ground as well and out of the seedling beds. I just about have the garden space accounted for this year. I usually try a different plant or vegetable each year as in the past I've grown; parsnips, artichokes, bok choy,etc. I guess this is the first time I've grown Zinnias for here in Florida as I usually take the seedlings with me to the mountain gardens. They are a beautiful flower and you never know the color or how many flower heads are on one plant. This past summer I had 20 some heads on one plant and they were just beautiful and they can stand the heat and the cold better than any flowering plant.

Nancy took off to drive her mom to the rehab around noon after her 30 minutes on the treadmill at the rec, so we had an early lunch as Amy and the kiddos went to Tampa to have lunch with Tyler. I chilled and read most of the afternoon until it was time to run out for a few items at the store. We came back and I sat under the big oak in the back yard and kept the squirrels out of my garden while she made a huge pot of Tortilla soup to take to house church along pumpkin nut bread, yikes both of those were hits. Carol made a pot of chicken noodle soup to go along with what we brought so there was plenty to go around and great variety. We had a full house and most of the regulars were there. The kids entertained us and they had small pumpkins to draw on as well. It was a good time of fellowship as well. Our group is doing a FREE oil change for single moms this Saturday at Dan's shop and then giving each mom a $10 gas card as well. I think we have about 20+ moms signed for the morning. We are going to choose one family out of those to bless this Thanksgiving with an additional food basket; just a small token of giving to those who are less fortunate and without dad's.

Well the World Series was postponed due to bad weather so they will try on Thursday night. After house church we watched the last half of Survivor then read and hit the sack around 10:30. LATER

No comments: