Saturday, October 15, 2011

Friday

The morning started out much the usual with a ride on the bike to the rec for 2 1/2 hours of pickle ball after my quiet time and bowl of cereal with a banana. We had a small turn out the first hour or so with 5 players so that gave you a little break after the 4th game. Wow was I ever glad this first week of play has come to an end. It's amazing how quickly your body can become acclimated to not running around chasing a ball for just a week; however we did walk, hike and work the 4 days we were at cabin. Anyhow it will take another week to get back to where I was shape wise before last week.

I stopped off at the library for a couple reads before heading home to work in the garden. The heat is still here with high temps but the humidity has lessened a little and with a slight breeze its tolerable outside. My 1/2 runner green beans are poking through the ground in less than a week and I noticed a green sugar pea poking through as well. The beets I transplanted from the mountain garden are sending out new green leaves and it won't be long before we can add them(leaves) to our salad. Wow if you have never tried that do so, as the young tender leaves are dewishious(Annsley's) and also add much color to a fresh garden salad, plus they are extremely nutritious. They(beets) have become a stable in my garden and I now sow them close together so they don't get real big just so we can eat them for their greens. The greens when they get to big for the salad cook up just like spinach, YUMM!!! I have a couple green onions shooting up from the bulbs I brought back from the mountain garden. A cut worm or a squirrel ruined one of my broccoli plants but the collards and cabbage plants are surviving so far. I will be transplanting tons of lettuce, Swiss Chard and Kale seedlings in the next couple days.

I made a trip to Home Depot for mulch, potting soil and a cucumber plant, yikes 3 bucks for 1 pot at least there were 6 or 7 seedlings in the container. I sowed cuke seeds a couple times and they won't germinate, guess its time to buy new seeds, anyhow I did transplant a couple dozen Zinnias seedlings into bigger pots. They have become one of our favorite flowering plants and last forever, they even sustained the freeze and frost we had at the cabin last week. I brought some of their seed heads home and they germinated immediately in this warm soil.

Nancy kept Ava and Sam while Amy and Tyler had a teachers conference at Ava's school this morning. I missed seeing them today as I really look forward to their couple hour visit during the week. Nancy took her mother shopping then to the rehab to visit with her dad who is eating better but still has some serious health issues. He has a long way to go both physically and spiritually, but keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Well not much else is going except we are heading to Riverview on Saturday to celebrate Annsley birthday again, we had celebrated early because we thought we would be at the cabin but now that we're back we will do it again at her other grandparents house. Should be a fun day with lots of swimming(pool party) and good eatin' then we will stay over until the evening hours and have supper with Bob and Jill before heading back to Seminole later in the night.

Well it seems the Cardinals won last night and Rangers and Tigers play on Saturday. I don't have as much interest as when the Rays were still in but it sure beats watching House Hunters and HGTV, yuck after awhile. There should be some good college football this weekend, LATER

No comments: