Thursday, October 20, 2011

Wednesday






Once again I was awaken at 5:30 to the rooster next doing what he does best; of course I picture him fried with a nice deep brown gravy over smashed potato's. Enough of that as it would mean I would have to chop his head off, dip him in scalding hot water and remove the feathers, then sear him over a small flame to singe the hair off, then gut him removing the entrails; saving the heart, liver and gizzard, then quarter him before rolling him in seasoned flower and then frying him in a deep black cast iron skillet with oil, preferably hog lard(I know sounds gross but I grew up on it and its the best for frying chicken). That's just to much work for a rooster which would probably be too tough to eat but that's the way I did on the farm when growing up back in them thar' hills of Virginia. It's so much easier to pick up a pack at the grocery but not as personable, especially at 5:30 AM.

After those visions of deep brown crispy fried rooster I did my quiet time then a bowl of oatmeal before pulling out on the bike for a ride to the rec. Gosh it was still dark at 7:15 due to the overcast and threat of rain clouds with gusty winds. They are calling for a cold front, yea we will get down into the 70's for a day or so and actually enjoy being outside. We had a good full crew for pickle ball with 2 courts going strong and a few waiting to get on to play. After my 2 1/2 hours I headed home to work in the garden. The wind was blowing like hurricanes but we got very little or no rain.

Nancy was at the rec doing her workout on the treadmill and afterwards she headed out to get a haircut and a color change. I read and did a little business work now that I'm owning my own business, sounds like a big shot but I'm having fun as well. I'm into anthropology studies and reads, 'cause I can imagine myself living in the wild and being self sufficient. I think it would be fun for awhile, living off the land. Anyhow a graduate student from Penn State went down into the jungles of South America and lived with a group of native Indian's named the Yanoama tribes and eventually assimilated into their culture and wrote a book titled INTO THE HEART. Its an exciting read and his life was constantly lived on the edge. Its not for the faint of heart or for those who need a 7-11 around the corner.

I grilled a couple bone-in pork chops and Nancy microwaved a couple sweet potato's and after the cleanup we took a nice long walk through the 'hood. She actually thought she needed a jacket as the humidity has finally gone away for awhile. We came back and cut the a/c off and opened a couple windows, Ahhh! was it ever nice for change. After Fox News I watched the last half of Survivor and then tuned into the Series where the Card's were leading when I "turned the lights off 'cause the party's over" that was an old saying from Monday Night Football and one of the greats of his time, Dandy Don Meredith and Howard Cosell, Oh well!!! LATER..enclosed are a few pics from the back yard garden, seedlings and my Orchids(actually they were our "mountain moms" but when she left Florida for the mountains she put me in charge of their keep and they produce every 9 months)..that's weird!!! Notice all the debris from the trees as the wind was strong.

No comments: