Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Monday

The day was much routine except for the weather, wow is all I can say. The coolness of the morning as I rode out to the rec on my bike after my fowl wake up, and my few moments to reflect in gratitude for our blessings and to lift up those we know who need special care,almost made we wish I had worn a wind breaker. The day got better as it wore on with bright sunshine, NO humidity and temps into the low 70's, Yikes was it ever a gorgeous day. After my 2 1/2 hours of pickle ball I ventured into the game room where several were needing a fourth for ping pong. I stayed and played several games for nearly an hour before heading for home. I was a little bushed by now so I rested while I did some paper work and e-mail catch up until lunch.

Nancy had to leave early to drive her mom to the rehab so Amy and the kiddos came and we had a great lunch. I finished up some leftovers and afterwards the kiddos(Ava and Sam) and I headed outside to play and work in the yard. They love playing with fishin' worms or grubs and bugs so as I turned over and area in the garden to transplant more lettuce seedlings,(seems every seed came up and now I'm loaded down with too many which I hate to see go to waste) they played with anything that moved in the dirt. We transplanted some Zucchini's into the ground as well as a row of lettuce then we hand watered them. Sam had his usual stick in his hand and of course Ava had a couple flower heads as she has always found such attraction to any flower in bloom but always shreds them in the end.

After the kids left for their naps Nancy got home from the rehab and her mom's house so we just chilled sitting out in the back yard under the big oak enjoying this beautiful weather. I finished a great read titled HIGHEST DUTY by Capt.Sully Sullenberger, remember the pilot who landed the plane in the Hudson River after birds knocked both engines out on a commercial airliner in the winter a couple years ago, well what an interesting man as he shares his life story and the many lives he and his crew saved that eventful day which could have been a total disaster. A must read for those who like to read about people who are for real in all walks of life.

I grilled a couple nearly freezer burnt small steaks that we had carted back and forth to the cabin and Nancy put together her superb turnip casserole with a white sauce and bread crumbs on top baked to a golden brown. Yikes that is one great dish and I'm not particularly fond of cooked turnips but this dish is awesome and we licked the bowl clean. I can remember growing up as a kid and visiting different farms where I would be helping with farm duty such; threshing wheat, or putting hay in the barn and the dinner meal(lunch time today) would be served and there would be cooked turnips mixed in with the cooked potato's and you would bite into the squishy, no firm turnips expecting a firm spud, Yikes I hated that feeling in my mouth which would almost make me gag, but anyhow I've grown use to that feeling with Nancy's casserole. Wow is that ever good and then we had cooked frozen turnip greens as a side dish, good country eatin' for supper.

After the clean up I watered until it was time to walk the hood. We took a long walk a couple miles and I stopped to visit with a neighbor on the way back until nearly dark. I then checked some e-mails and did a little business work before getting ready to watch game 5 of the World Series. I turned it off about 10:30 as the sandman had arrived after my shower; it was still tied at 2 all then.

Well as much as we love the mountain weather, today was as nice as any there, except for the ambiance which we love being there so much. It was just another beautiful day here with the windows open, mild temps, gentle breeze and no humidity. I think that will change later in the week as there is a hurricane down in the Caribbean and we could see some rain from that occurrence.LATER

No comments: