Saturday, January 29, 2011

Friday
























































Yea it warmed up enough to sit in the sun for an couple hours and to be outside without a coat. After my quiet time and the usual bowl of oatmeal with some fruit I pedalled( it was rather nippy as I rode out on the bike) out to the rec for some 2 1/2 hours of pickle ball. You would think with all this exercise I would start to trim this excess belly fat but NO, not yet !!! I think it has a lot to do with all these family meals and last night was no exception(I'm writing this on Sat. morning).

After pickle ball I stopped by the library and picked up a sack of books I ordered last week on line then headed for the garden. I watered and fed the new seedlings and if my bib lettuce makes I will have plenty to share. The tomato's are still growing but the cold has really stunned their growth and the fruit is not very big but they are still home grown and delicious. Everything else is doing great especially the snow peas(sugar), broccoli, kale, swiss chard, onions, beets, collards, parsnips and a multitude of herbs. Peppers are a little stunned but I do see some new growth, anyhow unless we get a new freeze we should be able to feed the 'hood.
Nancy was at her Friday morning Bible study at SFBC so I vacuumed the house and got the smoker ready for a new creation, smoked turkey. We had about a 15 pounder we bought on sale before Christmas so I wanted to do beer in the rear bird which we all like with a chicken. There were lots of "I sure will miss the gravy" or "it will be so dried out" or "make sure it's done" anyhow this was my idea and not many were for it especially the old folks. Well we separated the skin from the meat around the breast and put fresh thyme, garlic powder, Lowery Seasoning and I put a onion in the hole where the neck would be, stuffed it with fresh parsley then stuffed a tall can of beer into the cavity and loaded the smoker with apple wood and hickory. At 5:30 I turned the electric off and this baby was beautiful and the edges around the drumstick were starting to recede. I stuck a thermometer into the thigh and it was 160 degrees, actually 135-140 was the temp. to indicate it was done so I knew I wouldn't have any problems in that department. We let it set for about 30 minutes while we tried some of my now much improved with time homemade blackberry vino.

Nancy had baked spuds with all the trimmings, a broccoli casserole, Amy made a fresh garden salad from Tyler's garden, plus brownies for the girls and GG brought 2 pies; lemon and chocolate. Needless to say when I carved this beautiful bird the meat fell literally off the bone and it was the juiciest meat ever. There was so much incredulity by all except me, the taste was magnificent and the smoke did not linger in your belly(no burping it later). The wood smoke is very mild whereas usually oak and mesquite wood can leave a lingering taste afterwards. This meat flavor was so mild and delicious. We nearly devoured the whole bird with just little left for maybe a sandwich or two tomorrow.

Little Sam ate and ate this bird and we were amazed at his appetite for meat which he can be picky. Everyone was just amazed at the moistness after being in the smoker for 5 1/2 hours. next time I can probably reduce the time to 5 hours of course that depends on the size. I think its 20 minutes per pound in the smoker(electric).

A fun time was had by all and after baths, book reading and just general visiting they headed out for home around 10 o'clock. I was ready for a shower after the clean up and had no trouble falling asleep. I think the neighbors have put the feathered alarm clock in the garage at nights. Yea for that. Saturday morning looks like its going to be a bright, warm sunny shine day with tempos near 70. I took some pics of the evening but as you can tell by my picture taking Nancy is the pro. I will post a few. LATER

No comments: