Sunday, February 1, 2009

Friday and Saturday
















Well Friday brought much cooler temperatures after the rain which fell all night and most of the morning. I had to wear my old USAF raincoat(43 yrs old) on the bike to the Rec after my quiet time and fruit for breakfast. Anyhow, got there dry and cold as the temp's were dropping fast. I got in a good workout with a real wet shirt before stopping off at the library on the way home. We were expecting Bob, Jill and Annsley for lunch as well as Amy and Ava.

The Triplett's got here about 1 PM(we were famished, Amy and I) and the girls were so cute with one another. They ran and played calling one another names. Lunch was great as Nancy set in a stock of ham and roast beef for sandwiches, chips, pickles and cookies as well as brownies. I'm still off regular potato chips and desserts and I've lost almost 4 lbs since N.Y.Day, still about 2 pinches around the gut to go before I'll be satisfied.

About 2 PM I put the whole chickens on the smoker with a beer in the rear along with oak wood that had been soaking in the rain all morning. Well what a great smell. About 4 PM I decided to put more wood in the smoker well I messed up and got the wood on the electric element which because the oak wood burns so hot caused the element to melt thus shorting it out so now it quit smoking and cooking. I found this out about 5:45 which is when the chickens are normally cooked. Anyhow there were mostly done but 30 minutes in the oven on bake did the job and the birds were beautiful and tasty. Now I need to purchase another heating element so if you have an electric smoker be careful about placing your wood especially oak wood on the element.


G/G, Pap, Tyler, Amy, Ava and old friend of the family Amber Kineer came for dinner as well. Nancy made oven spuds rolled in fresh rosemary and parsley and baked in the oven along with corn, and fresh green beans(from the garden) and a salad as well as 2 pans of cornbread. Another batch of brownies from G/G's for dessert. Wow what a feast and then we played cards until nearly 10 PM after putting Ava to bed around 8:30.

Saturday we woke up to cold temp's in the 30's but bright sunshine. We had a piece of leftover ham along with leftover spuds and a couple eggs for breakfast about 9:30. After our morning routines of quiet time and checking Facebook I watered the garden(sandy soil) then we headed out to the Rec. to workout on the elliptical, treadmill and some other exercises. I got a good hour workout and Nancy did her 30 minutes on the treadmill.
The afternoon finally reached the 60's but with a cool breeze out of the North. I sat around and watched 3 discs of the Band Of Brothers(WWII) Bobby left with me the day before. I had read the book by Stephen Ambrose several years ago and never got to watch all the HBO series that was shown on TV. Its a great watch and pretty close to the book with several of the survivors giving testimony on the occurrences.

We took off about 5:30 for the Botbyl's house (3 doors up) for dinner. We brought our leftover salad, cornbread and brownies and Carol had pulled pork Bar B Que sandwiches and some great vino from San Sebastian Winery in St Augustine. We played a couple rounds of cards with you who as the winner of both games. They watched my hands the whole time(Jodie) even though I am the score keeper. Well will close for now as we are getting ready to head to Tampa for Element Church. LATER

No comments: