Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Wednesday

Well once again we started the day a little late as we slept in after staying up past midnight. It wasn't quite as cold as the night before but still temps were down into the high 40's which made for good sleeping weather especially with the added quilt on the bed. After our quiet times with a cup of hot green tea we had the usual bowl of boring oatmeal with a fresh peach and a little cinnamon. I headed outside to check on the gardens for deer damage.

The chicken wire over the beets seems to be working for now and I even see some small green leaves starting on the the beets that had been re-planted. I decided to check out the rotor-tiller I repaired a couple months ago and it did seem to work for awhile; enough so I could work in the dried leaves I had spread in the lower garden yesterday. It finally gave out on me again as its just old and the bearing on the pulley for the belt is worn out which causes the belt to fly off after awhile. Its an old used tiller and I love tinkering with something that use to work great at one time. I have access to a newer model that Norman has and will probably wind up using it later in the season.

It really warmed up just before lunch as I had a good sweat going working the lower garden. The only thing still producing there is a few hills of green beans, some Zinnias and endive. We had a couple tomato sandwiches on pumpernickel with sliced onion, mayo and lettuce. Yikes that was as fine a sandwich ever. The 'maters were awesome in flavor and ripeness and came from Joe's patch.

We sat around and read for an hour or so before getting ready to take off on our hike to the top. It was just such a gorgeous day with just enough coolness in the air to keep the bugs away and the sweat down. We stopped and visited with Jetta and once again I got zapped on the finger by a dang yellow jacket. Yeow did that ever smart and 5 hours later its still hurting. That was the second time this summer I've been stung and both times on top of the mountain at Joe and Jetta's. I killed a large nest of them night before last under my shed so at least I'm killing the ones on my property without being zapped. They are the meanest bees and this time of the year they are very aggressive always into or around whatever your doing when outside. Tomorrow I'm looking for more nests to exact my revenge for this sting today.

Nancy had a pot of pasta fagioli soup she made with a smoked ham bone simmering most of the afternoon and the smell had our taste buds watering. Yikes did that ever taste delicious with a fresh salad for supper. After the cleanup we took off on another hike down the gravel road to Grant and Shirleys and then back to the cabin. The sun was just going down and it was such a beautiful Fall evening. Tomorrow we are off to Galax for birthday shopping for our grand daughter Annsley who will be 5 next month and for a few goodies we need as well, LATER

No comments: