Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday

Well Fall has definitely arrived here in the mountains of N.C. This morning our neighbor on top of the mountain had 40 degrees but of course by the time we got up it had warmed up to a nice 50 degrees. There was lots of sunshine in the tree tops and bright blue skies for most of the day. I think we may have broke 70 for the top temp of the day. After our quiet times we had a great breakfast of fried egg sandwiches, actually I had two but one was without the egg just tomato, onion and mayo on toasted bread. Wow that held me until suppertime.

 After breakfast I ventured out to check on the gardens and once again a dang deer was in my beets overnight. This time since he had already eaten the greens off he decided to pull the beets out and left about 2 dozen of them on the ground uprooted. Since the sun hadn't yet reached the roots I managed to re-plant the beet stock. I then watered them in and covered the newly re-plants with some chicken wire. Hopefully that will discourage them from digging or pulling them up.

I decided to check out some of the wood I had stored under the back porch. I found lots of termites in the wood so I decided to saw it up and store it away from the cabin and use it for kindling. That took me most of the morning and into the early afternoon. We decided to take a hike as it was just an awesome day for being outside. When we got back Nancy had a lite lunch but I still wasn't hungry so I replaced some of the wood timbers around my upper garden fence. Nancy took off on the golf cart to the mailboxes while I finished up some other garden chores.

I finished up around 4 o'clock after filling a plastic bottle with a little gas and a piece of cloth to act as a wick. I'm waiting until it gets pitch black as I have a very large nest of yellow jackets underneath my shed. They very nearly zapped me this morning as I was looking for some stored locust posts. I will give them a rude awakening once darkness sets in and they are all in the hole in the ground.

We had a grand supper of fresh picked 1/2 runner green beans, leftover scalloped taters and broccoli and a couple ears of fresh picked corn on the cob. After the clean up we decided since it was so nice we would take a second hike of the day so down the driveway and then up the back road. We saw 2 large deer on the road, probably the ones that's been getting in my garden. Well if they show up before bedtime I have loaded the 12 gauge with skeet shot so I will power their behinds if I see them in the garden patch. I would love to make them aware my garden is off limits.

Well its been a great day weather wise and I managed to get a little cleaning up done. We got in a couple really good hikes as well, LATER 

No comments: