Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tuesday

Well we slept in until(I'm embarrassed to say) son Bobby called around 8:30 and we were still in the sack. We spoke with him for nearly an hour then we did our quiet times and finally around 10 AM we had a lite breakfast of cereal and fruit, yeow there is something about cool morning which make you want to stay under the warm covers especially with a quilt on the bed.

I headed out to check on the gardens and once again the chicken wire helped with keeping the deer out of my beets or whats left of them. I feed all of my potted plants with Miracle Grow then headed out into the backwoods yard where I have a ton of decomposing leaves from the past couple years. I like to spread these leaves in the garden then plow them under but last year I didn't get to put any on the garden. I carried about 12 large trash cans of leaves for the lower garden and when the new leaves fall later on I will attempt to add them to the garden as well. The leaves add so much to the soil and when you can plow them under for the winter they will break down and add humus to the soil.

After a lite lunch of leftover scalloped taters for me we got ready to head to Sparta as Nancy had a hair appointment. I stopped at the grocery for a couple items then sat in the parking lot of the salon and read for an hour or so. Yikes was it ever a beautiful day with temps around 70 after a cool start in the 40's. We stopped by our friend Joe's place and picked a couple tomato's, peppers and jalapenos. He is due back from Colorado later in the week. We came home and I took a bag of the fresh picked peppers to our retired friend Norman on top of the mountain and visited with him for awhile before heading on across and checking on Jetta. She gave us a taste of her pickled peppers and cabbage which reminded us of chow chow, yikes is that ever good and I can hardly wait to have a pot of pintos as it goes with them.Thanks Jetta for that goodie!!!

Nancy had made stuffed green peppers earlier in the day and put them in the oven while we hiked. What a delicious aroma when we got home from our hike in the warm cozy cabin. She made some smashed taters and with the red sauce from the stuffed peppers over top of them sure made for a great supper. After the clean up it was still light enough to take a late evening hike with the temps in the 60's, so we headed down the drive and up by the old Todd place to the back road and then down our trail in the backwoods yard. Wow was it ever a nice evening but darkness is coming so much earlier now as we are surrounded by tall trees which keep out the morning and evening sun.

The Rays are playing the Orioles on T.V. which I seldom get to watch which is maybe a good thing as they are stinking up the field tonight. They are just a game behind the Birds but sure aren't playing like it, LATER

No comments: