Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday

Well today was another fun day that started around 7 :30 AM. The temps were in the middle 60's and reached a high of 80 plus, but the humidity was very high which made it feel like a day in June. Its hard to believe this was the last day of August and already we see lots of evidence that Fall is here except for today. The leaves are falling before even turning but we do see the Maples on the back trail starting to show some color. After our quiet time I did fruit for breakfast with a home grown pear that Jetta gave me and a red delicious apple.

My little fishin' buddy Caleb Dalton called and wanted to come over to do some shooting. His mom dropped him off around 9:30 and we took off to the top of the mountain to check on the corn patch. Joe and I fixed a new gate yesterday hoping that would keep the coons out but that was to no avail. They once again destroyed the corn patch bending over several stalks and eating several ears. They have destroyed about half of the patch so I'm really ticked. Andy Dalton, Caleb's dad informed me he had a wildlife trap that I could borrow to trap the buggers so I picked it up when I took Caleb home.

Caleb and I dug some worms then we took off for Ms Helen's pond around 10 AM. It really was too warm to fish and we only caught 2 perch which I kept to use for bait in the coon trap. We also picked a peck of red apples from her tree so Nancy could make an apple pie this weekend.We came back and got out the rifle and pistol to shoot. He brought his dad's M-1 which is a WWII and Korea rifle. Wow is that an ever sweet shooting rifle and the action on that piece was beautiful. We ran about 20 rounds through it then ran another 50 or so rounds of 22 rifle shots. I let Caleb run a clip of 40 caliber/10 MM through my service pistol. He did a good job at about 18 feet distance.

 After taking Caleb home I came back and had a bite of lunch then I piddled around as it was too dang hot to work outside. I sat on the back porch and read until it was time to get ready for supper. I shucked some corn from the corn patch and Nancy fried up some okra I picked from Kay's(Caleb's grandmother) garden as well as 1/2 dozen 'maters. Yeow did that okra ever taste dewisheous. We had a garden salad to go along with the corn and okra. After the cleanup we took off on a hike to the top of the mountain and stopped to pick up a couple dozen of fresh brown eggs Jetta picked up for us. I made arrangements to come back up with the golf cart to pick Joe up and we set the trap. I used one of the small fish as well as a couple marshmellows. These are supposed to be great bait for luring raccoon into a trap. I will let you know if these baits worked in the morning, LATER

No comments: