Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tuesday

Well today was a busy day that started at 6:30 when my doctor gave me a call to tell me the results of my blood workup. He informed all looked good except my bad cholesterol(LDL) had risen a little since last year but not enough to warrant me to take any medication. I've been less active since my knee injury and with all kinds of company we were eating super tasting rich foods so I'm sure that caused the number to go up; but now I'm back to hiking daily and cutting down on those tasty dishes and eating more fruits, veggies and salads.

Neighbor Grant called about 8 AM and needed help as we cut down 3 more trees that surrounded his cabin. We cut them down in no time and without any danger to the cabin so I headed back to the cabin. I saw a couple walking in our lane who attend Cornerstone and found out later, she and I attended the same elementary school in Winchester when I was in the third grade and she in the first. I met her and her husband a couple years at Cornerstone and we became friends and I learned her father who was an orthopedic doctor and who gave physicals to me for the 5 years while I played football in high school. We had a great visit which lasted a couple hours and we also walked up the back trail and down around the road by the old Todd place.

After they left on foot we took off to the top of the mountain for our daily hike. We stopped at Joe and Jetta's and they were gone. We later found out Joe was in the hospital in Elkin as his high temperature continued and the doctors were unable to determine what was causing his aliments. Keep him and Jetta in your thoughts and prayers for healing but also they have their 4 grandsons visiting for a week from Ohio.

We came back from out hike and decided to have sardines for lunch with onion, mustard and crackers, Yikes is that ever good tasting and a good for you meal. After lunch I headed down below the deck and took the two wicker chairs from the living room to be re-painted. That kept me busy for a couple hours. Afterwards I dug up a couple large rocks that I noticed while mowing yesterday and found one so large I could only roll it down the yard. It took several buckets of dirt to fill in the holes after extracting the rocks. We took off on the golf cart to the mailbox and stopped to see how the work was going at Grant and Shirley's.

It was nearly 4 PM when we got home so I headed out to pick lettuce, beet greens. kale, a pepper and some nasturtium leaves and flowers for a salad for supper. Nancy added cucumbers and some store bought lettuce along with a home grown tomato, yeow, was that ever a great salad for supper. We sat outside on the front porch and ate and it was just beautiful with a soft breeze. After the clean-up we headed out on a hike down the road and visited once again with the Heglars. I gave him some hints on how to wipe out a large yellow jackets nest with gasoline that was a threat to their grand children playing in an around their creek. We had a great walk back up the road and once again up our steep hill, LATER

No comments: