Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thursday

The morning started out with a sleep in until nearly 7:30. It was nearly 60 when I finally wondered out to check the thermometer on the back porch. After our quiet times Nancy had her oatmeal and I microwaved a couple frozen sausage biscuits for breakfast. I headed out to check on the gardens and decided to saw up some old pine logs I had laying around. I learned that blueberry bushes love old pine sawdust, bark and needles. I took a couple hours and sawed these old logs into very small chips and pieces and then collected all the sawdust and shaving to spread around the bushes.

It was nearly 11:30 by the time I finished that project so we took off on our first hike of the day to the top of the mountain. We had a great start and never saw anyone until we reached Joe, Jetta and Zeke's. We visited with them for awhile and she shared some Elephant Garlic kernels from her crop this year and I will sow them in October into my garlic bed. She also offered up some of her 1/2 runners for our supper so I headed back up to their place in the afternoon and picked enough for a good mess or two. Many thanks to the Browning's for their generosity.

We came back and I finished the leftover salad and a couple slices of deer salami with onion on a cracker and mustard; Nancy had sardines, onion and mustard on a saltine. After lunch I piddled around in the garden and then we took off on the golf cart to the mailbox. We came back and chilled for a couple hours reading while she had spareribs in a roaster with sauerkraut, yikes did that ever smell good. Nancy made smashed taters to top off the meal. I did the clean up as she cooked and afterwards we took off for another hike. We headed down to the Heglars as they are back up for a couple days. We visited with them for awhile then headed back up the road and the 13% driveway, yikes is that one steep hill. It was nearly 8 PM and the evening shadows were evident, LATER

No comments: