Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday

Well here it is at a little after 9 PM and I can barely keep my eyes open after a very busy day that started around 7AM. There was a little fog and mist from time to time which kept the temps in the low 70's most of the morning. We never saw the sun until sometime after lunch. After our quiet moments we made egg sandwiches for breakfast and believe me, when I say they are the best. Here's how you make them; a couple eggs with the yoke broken and then fried on a couple pieces of multi-grain bread toasted slathered with mayo on both pieces, then a layer of lettuce, a couple dill pickle chips, a slice of sweet vidalia onion and then 2 slices of fresh tomato with a little of Janes Crazy salt and a sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper, don't forget the egg between the onion and tomato; yikes that is a wonderful made to start the gastric juices flowing(the onion is optional) for the start of the day.

I headed out after eating and checked the garden for insects as this year has been wonderful for their proliferation. There just wasn't that many days of below freezing temps to hamper their growth. After my inspection which I found numerous Japanese beetles dining on all of my flowering plants as well as the corn; I sent a few to their death and this evening after supper I sent nearly 75 of the pesky insects to their death as well. I then drug out the weed whacker and spent the next hour or so working on that job when I got interrupted by George and Gail; neighbors just a hill over who came by for an extended visit. We sat on the front porch and visited with them for nearly an hour or more.

It was close to 11:30 when they left so we decided to get our hike in while the temps were still rather nice, so we headed up the steep back trail. Nancy had 2 pairs of socks in her tennis shoes which helped to protect that nasty blister she acquired a week ago today from her new boots. We headed up to the top and finally reached the cabin after stopping to check on the corn patch and a nice visit with Joe and Jetta. It was going on 1 PM and the hunger pangs were calling my name. Nancy heated up the last of the burrito meat and put that in a tortilla wrap with cheese, onions, 'maters, cucumber and of course I chopped a couple home grown cayenne peppers on mine. Yikes that was very tasty and filling. After the clean-up I headed out to sharpen the lower mower blades before climbing aboard for the next couple hours of mowing. These hills are a little tricky to mow but the riding mower saved me once again.

Nancy decided we should take the golf cart to the mailbox then up to the top of the mountain to pick up a skirt Jetta hemmed for our "mountain mom". Jetta is quite the seamstress as she hemmed Nancy dress she wore to Kelly's wedding earlier in July. We visited for awhile before heading back down and it was going on 5 o'clock. I dug up and transplanted some Zinnia's into separate pots from my garden as it looked like we might get some rain. While Nancy started supper around 5:30 I picked some fresh beet greens, kale and a green pepper for the salad as well as some Nasturtium leaves and flowers.

I fried up some Zwaii fish on the grille and along with Jasmine rice, black beans and the salad we had a feast. After the clean-up we both headed out to walk around the fresh mowed yard and admired the beautiful flowers as well as I harvested beetles. There is a trick to catching Japanese beetles as you need a cup of water and place it directly under the leaves the beetles are on because once they feel movement they fall straight down; that's where the cup or bowl with water in it traps them. After the plants are clean then you dispose of them by poring out the water as they usually form a ball of bodies and the crunch sound is music to my ear, LATER

No comments: