Monday, August 13, 2012

Monday

Well it was a busy day with it starting around 7:30. The temps were down into the low 50's but bright sunshine and blue skies were the norm for the day. I think the warmest it got was around 78 with a nice gentle breeze. After our quiet times we fried up a couple sausage patties and popped a couple frozen biscuits in the oven then fried up a couple eggs for a super breakfast. I added fresh ground horseradish to my sausage. After breakfast I headed out to the gardens to do so major work.

I thinned out the oregano plant which has doubled in size since last year despite making several cutting. I then transplanted a kale plant as well as sowed some lettuce seeds in two areas I worked up. I then headed up to the deck and porches where the potted plants needed soil for their pots. It was going on 11 so we decided to take our morning hike and we took off to the top of the mountain. I checked on the corn patch and noticed the wind blew over several stalks of corn then we saw Norman and he needed a hand loosing a nut on his wheelbarrow. After taking care of his need and a short visit we headed on along the ridge to visit with Jetta. Seems Joe is still under the weather with a high temperature and feeling lousy, so he was still in bed. We visited with Jetta as well as their neighbors the Cahoon's who were just in from Colorado and on their way down to the Carolina beaches.

After the hike we had a nice salad for lunch then afterwards I headed out to weed whack the property. That took me an hour or so then I climbed on board the riding mower to mow all of the yards including the back woods yard. That kept me busy for a couple hours or so as it was nearly 4:30 when I finished. I then filleted a couple rainbow trout my fishing buddy Caleb caught on Saturday from the Little River where his family was having a reunion. He is quite the fisherman and this is the second time this summer he has given me fresh fish. Yikes were they ever dewisheous(Annsley) and along with some oven taters and a can of mixed greens we had a delectable supper. After eating I headed up to the corn patch to hoe around the stalks which had blown over and to straighten them up. That took me about an hour by the time I got back to the cabin.

Nancy noticed our neighbors Grant and Shirley were up at their place so we rode down on the golf cart for a visit. Well he has a couple trees he wants taken down by the new porch and deck he is adding so I gave him a hand as they looked as if they could fall on his house. We got a rope about 20 feet up around the tree and we managed to get it down without it falling on the cabin. He has another large tree that is leaning as well so tomorrow I will help him take that one down as well. We headed back home just as darkness fell. I almost forgot too mention yesterday I got popped on the ankle by a nasty yellow jacket bee and that sting hurt all night and most of this day. They are one mean bee, LATER

No comments: