Thursday, April 18, 2013

Thursday Morning

Well we are deep into summer weather as the lows are in the high 70's and the highs are into the 90's already and that is a bit unusual as it usually doesn't hit the 90's consistently until late August. It was 91 at 7:30 this evening, Yeow!!! Anyhow the morning was much the usual with an early wake up call by the feathered fowl next door, then a cup of hot green tea, a few moments to reflect and give thanks and then a ride out to the rec on by old bike for some 2 plus hours of pickle ball. We had 2 courts going with some 8 players or more at times. Lots of wet shirts so the workout was good. Afterwards I stopped off at the library for a new read I had ordered.

The hot weather is taking its toll on my beautiful garden. The lettuce is starting to bolt and many of the snow peas vines are drying up despite daily watering. I knew this was going to happen as the intense heat and sunlight usually has it burnt up by now. I'm still cutting lettuces and managed to salvage a couple bags for the fridge for later consumption. The green beans which have just produced marvelously since Christmas are starting to dry up as well. The peppers, maters', Swiss chard, egg plants and collards are still hanging in there for now.

Amy and Sam went to Tampa to have lunch with Tyler so I vacuumed and then shampooed the carpets which kept me busy for a couple hours after we got back from a shopping run to Sam's Club for some goodies and a frozen pizza for lunch.  I then headed out to change a new door knob going out from the side door in the garage and that was a beast to change out. That door knob has been on there since before we purchased the house some 34 years ago. I finally had to take a hacksaw and saw off the knobs then drill out the screws. After a couple hours I got the new one on with some adjustments, whew what a job and in the direct afternoon sunlight. My neck is black from the deep tan.

The sun finally moved down behind the neighbors Magnolia tree so I had some shade to finish the fence around the trash cans which required a new post and some painting. Luckily this new fence is the white plastic or vinyl variety so should require little or no upkeep. The old picket fence had started to rot and required painting to keep it looking good. Well I actually finished the fence after a delicious supper of sauteed squash, green peppers and onions from the garden, a great garden salad and grilled pork chops with the bone in. (I planted some onions seedlings a while back which indicated they would mature into round sweet onions and I pulled my first one for supper, delicious.)Yeow I scrapped the bones clean as the flavor was awesome; there is something about grilling meat with the bones in for superb flavor.

Well Nancy came out and hand watered the gardens for me while I finished up the fence as its a few less honey-do jobs before we get ready for our summer stay in the mountains where there will be much to do after being away since Nov. We settled in after our showers to the Rays game which they finally beat the Orioles 6-2, The Idol show and finally the new Duck Dynasty episode. Which was hilarious great family entertainment by grown men, LATER

No comments: