Monday, May 21, 2012

Sunday and Monday

Well Sunday was a very long day as I slept very little on Saturday night in anticipation of a 4 AM departure for the cabin. I set the alarm for 3 and all we had to do was pack the coolers and tidy up some last minute things before heading. It was 74 degrees and muggy as we pulled away from the house. I sure hope I woke Chester up when leaving,oh well we had an uneventful trip that found me stopping to walk for 10-15 minutes every 1 1/2 hours. We stopped in Starke, Fl at Mickey Dee's for breakfast and then again in Poller, Georgia at Sam's Club to gas up at at $3.34 and for a few goodies as well as we walked throughout the store; kind of like mall walking. It was 52 degrees there and raining so walking in store filled the bill and it cost me as well as Nancy found some stuff she just needed, Oh well.

We drove into the cabin road a little after 4 after a another couple stops plus a another shopping spree at Wal-Mart in Elkin, N.C. which is just down off the mountain from us. That was a 12 hours trip which use to take us 10 1/2 but still with all the stops we made really good time. Most all of Florida driving is divided highways plus most all of Georgia is now 6 lanes. When we arrived it was 71 and just delightful with dry air and bright sunshine, yeow is it ever great weather wise. Our mountain neighbor Gerald mowed most of the front and back yard which was a really big help as I had to mow other areas today at least 3 times to get it back to looking like a yard.

Sunday night found me awake most of the night once again as I contemplated on how to correct some areas that needed some special attention. First I has some faucets leaks which usually comes with having the water turned off for nearly 8 months and I have 2 that needs some special attention so my friend and plumber Walt(who plumbed and wired my place) is coming by on Tuesday to make the necessary corrections, also I could get on the Internet with my wireless router so I'm making do until Tyler gets here in July as he is the IT guru, next I had several mechanical problems with the rotor -tiller as well as the batteries needed charging on the riding mower and Golf cart. I worked outside after unloading the truck until nearly 9 PM.

Monday morning found we getting a little after 5 as I had lots to do and I wanted an early start, yiles it was 52 and a bit nippy but oh so quiet with just a few birds singing and the dew dripping from the tin roof was awesome. I headed down to the garden to get my seedlings in the ground. Its supposed to rain on Tuesday so I wanted them in the ground to take advnatage of it. I found about a dozen hills of potato's that came up from last and I planted about another dozen of red potato seedlings I brought from Florida. I potted my tomato and pepper seedlings but all the rest I put in the ground after working up the beds, wow were they ever covered in weeds. Nancy yelled that she had a hearty  breakfast ready about 8:30 and I had worked up a good appetite with all the digging, weed pulling by hand as the rotor-tiller was not working at all. I later in the evening gave it some attention and got it working again but with break downs every 20-30 minutes. I think its time to invest in one of my own as this one is a hand me down from the neighbor on top who wants me to till his patch in return for letting me keep this old tiller. I admit I like making these work but there is a price.

After getting all the seedlings in the ground I started weed whacking until it was lunch time then I headed into the back yard to pick up 2 golf cart loads of limbs and sticks before mowing. That took me 3-4 hours as some of it had to be mowed 3 times, finally I finished that in time for summer which turned out to be a salad with some cold turkey on top. I started to rain and thunder just as we sat down to eat but didn't last to long just enough to settle the dust. I once again repaired the tiller and did the upper garden as just as I finished it broke again. I repaired it again and started on the lower garden and almost finished it just before dark. The last chore was to plant the hydrangea in the ground so it to could take of the rain in the forecast.I think I sat down while eating lunch and while mowing and walking up and down these hills has just plum wore me out, LATER

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Sorry about all the grammar errors and incomplete thoughts, etc but yikes its difficult to write while standing up, plus I was dog tired as well. Anyhow expect more when I'm finally able to compose while sitting down, LATER