Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday

Yikes was it ever downright COLD this morning, and the 28 degrees for our area of Florida set all kinds of records. My oh my was it chilly on the bike as I rode to the rec after my quiet time and a lite breakfast of oatmeal with blueberries and a banana. There was ice and frost everywhere on the tops of houses, cars and all over the lawns. I had my garden pretty much covered with old sheets,buckets and cardboard boxes to help save the plants. I had 3 tomato plants that look as if they may have survived the freeze as well as a couple of bean plants. but most all the leafy green plants actually looked better after all the cold but the rest of the garden looked frozen.

We had 14 players for pickle ball once again on this cold morning. It sure was nice to be able to play in a warm gymnasium. I had a good 2 1/2 hour workout and then did another 15 minutes on the elliptical while waiting for Nancy to arrive. She was brave and ventured out walking to the rec in this cold.I stopped off at the library and picked up a book before heading home to take off all the blankets, etc from my plants. I had used them on my plants since Saturday. I sure was disappointed at all the cold damage, Oh well at last we have heat. Several of our friends are without heat as their heat pumps have quit working or are just worn out. The power company has reduced power to several of the schools who are out of session for "snow days" due to the cold. That is hard to believe but the mention of rolling blackouts are a real possibility because of such power demands.

Next Sunday we are having a "classroom shower" for the new kids warehouse at Element Church. Nancy and I decided to find a table and chairs to donate as our small part so we headed over to Oldsmar to the Classroom Furniture warehouse where we found a new 30"x 60" adjustable steel leg table and 6 12"in high chairs to go in the toddlers classroom. This furniture is well made and looks great as well.

Nancy made her famous tortilla soup for dinner and did that ever hit the spot for this chilly evening. Its suppose to once again be in the low 30's in our area with a hard freeze just to the north of us for the night and early morning. We are sure looking forward to the possibility of high 60's later on this week. Well not much else is happening except to say Amy and Ava came by today for lunch and to visit until it was time for Ava's nap. Ava burned her wrist over the week end on the stove top but seems to be recovering quite nicely. She is such a cutie and of course we watched UP with her after lunch. LATER.

No comments: