Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday

Yikes!! Where did this week go??It's almost the end of the month and only 4 more months until we will be preparing to head back to the mountains, of course I wouldn't want to be there this week end with the forecast of 10-14 inches of the white stuff.

The day started out the usual with a few moments of quietness with the Creator in thanksgiving and prayer for those we know who need that extra special lift of care and healing. After my daily dose of oatmeal, cinnamon and honey for breakfast I got ready to ride out on the 2 wheeler to the rec for some pickle ball. Wow, we had a full house today with 3 nets(12 Players) plus 3 more waiting to get in the game. There were 6 of us there early so we had some good, fast play before the masses arrived after 8. We had one newbie but he is a youngster so he may have a problem with the 50 + crowd of seniors, although he picked the game up pretty quick as he has tennis experience which really helps for good play.

After the rec I stopped by the library and picked up some reading for the weekend. The morning had warmed up nicely with just enough high clouds to keep it from being to hot. I headed home to hand water the garden, transplant some more lettuce seedlings, replant cuke's and pull a few weeds. My bell pepper plant is blooming, finally; while my jalapeno pepper is producing a few mild ones. For supper tonight I picked some collards and kale. I strip the center stem from the leaves, roll the leave then slice and chop the leaves into small pieces. Next I saute a raw garlic clove in a couple tbl. spoons of olive oil and gradually add the chopped leaves. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper while cooking. The greens cook down to about 1/10th of the original size. Cook for about 10-12 minutes at medium heat. A little apple cider vinegar is added in your bowl of greens but add to taste. I like vinegar on mine; Nancy doesn't.

After a lite lunch with Ava and Amy I took Ava out to ride her trike. Amy was heading out to the OBGYN for her checkup. Little Samuel is measuring close to 38 weeks. Won't be long now until I will have my first grandson. Ava and grandma Nancy made chocolate chip cookies while I sat in the sun reading. What a lovely day. After the kids left Nancy took a couple mile walk through the 'hood for some exercise and I vegetated with a book.

Supper turned out to be one of my favorite meals with; salmon on the grill, coated in garlic powder and lemon pepper salt with fresh dill on top, penne pasta in garlic butter with fresh mushrooms and of course the greens I mentioned earlier. Today was our garlic day. In case I failed to mention it, garlic is a natural antibiotic. It has so many medicinal properties plus I love its taste in cooking when used with olive oil.

Tomorrow our house church is doing a service project for single moms at Twill Auto in the Bay Pines Area from 8-1. Well, will close for now hoping all of our mountain friends are snug and safe from the big winter storm heading your way. Yeow, 10-14 inches of the the frozen stuff will make getting out and around difficult for a few days. Stay safe and out of the ditches.LATER

No comments: