Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thursday

Today was a laid back sort of day with a roll out of the sack around 6:30 to a cool 56 degrees but with bright blue skies overhead and the promise of plenty of sunshine; however a breeze kept the temps very comfortable in the middle 70's and in the shade it was sorta cool. After my usual spot of tea and my quiet moments to reflect and give thanks I had the boring bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon and a banana before heading out to the gardens.

The ground is still quite wet from the inch plus rain we had the first part of the week in the lower garden as it gets lots of shade. The potato's that came up from last year are about 2 feet tall and the new red seed potato's are breaking through the ground despite the dampness in the soil. I think my 1/2 runner green bean seeds have rotted in the ground for the third time so I resowed them today in 6 pack containers and will set them out when they come up; at least I can control the wetness until they sprout by putting them under the porch when it rains. I'm about to lose a couple cabbage plants and I'm not sure why as they looked great yesterday and today they have wilted. The radish seeds I planted on Sunday in the upper garden along side the corn are up and looking good but I can't say the same for the Celebrity tomato plants; however the cherry tomato's look pretty good thus far. I think my garden is suffering from too much acid in the soil and this fall I'm really going to lime it well. I've spread a little lime but with plants already up some times it can shock them and cause more or if not worst trouble.

Nancy hung a load of laundry and then we took off for the top of the mountain on our daily hike. We visited the Browning and I delivered their Amway order and then took off across the top. We learned that Sandy our neighbor on top was just recently released again from the hospital as he continues to battle blood on the brain. The doctors have no idea where its coming from which makes it harder to give him the proper treatment. Seems he has lost some balance as well as short term memory, so keep him and his wife Ann in your thoughts and prayers. They have been great neighbors over the years and just good down home folks.

After a lite lunch once again of sardines and onions on a cracker with mustard, yikes do we ever love those combinations, I headed out to do a couple piddly odd jobs. We knew we had to leave around 4:30 to deliver Joe and Helen's vitamins and to give her a couple bottles of the Perfect Water for her to try. We stayed and visited with her for a short while before heading to Cornerstone for another evening of feeding the mission team. I helped grill about 60 burgers and Nancy worked inside with getting all the trimming set for the hungry team. After eating and the clean up we settled in watch their games  and then got ready to head out around 9:15 as they were heading outside to do marshmellows over an open fire. Once again the kids were sleeping over for the night. Tomorrow we go in a little bit earlier around 3 PM as the team is doing a musical concert in Virginia. I think after feeding them we will cancel on that late night trip. Not much else is going on as its going on 11 o'clock, LATER

No comments: