Friday, June 8, 2012

Friday

Well I had a busy day that started with a 6:30 wake up and the temp was right at 50. Nancy turned the oven on when she awakened but the cool felt good to me. After my few quiet moments to reflect, give thanks and lift those who we know up in thoughts and prayer I had a boring bowl of oatmeal with some blueberries and a banana. After doing my e-mail and Face book checks I headed down in the basement to finish up the remaining area with the final coat of floor paint. The new floor paint is much lighter in color and I really like it better than the slate gray color we painted the basement last year. Hopefully with the Lock down coat before this final coat the paint will adhere to the concrete floor. I finished that job around 9:30 then decided it was time to clean up my wine making utensils as I purchased a kit of Pinot Noir at Thistle meadow Winery on Wednesday.

Nancy gave me a hand  as we emptied the grape juice from the bladder into the fermentier(plastic 7 gallon bucket), the last time I performed this simple task the bladder fell into the bucket and grape juice dripped from the ceiling, walls and counters. This time I was able to get the stopper off with out to much trouble and emptied the bladder of juice without incident. Needless to say Nancy was a little skeptical about that step, but I never even splashed a drop. I followed the directions which were pretty clear and with in an hour I had the 23 liters(6 gals) of liquid in the upstairs bedroom cooking(fermenting). Its a few degrees warmer up there and just perfect for getting the fermenting stage  going. I don't have to do a thing with the must for 7 days.

We decided to take our daily hike and headed out for the top. We stopped and chatted with Matt our mailman then stopped for a few to chat with Norm before heading out to the end of the road. We chatted momentarily with Joe and Jetta as they were on their way to Sparta to distribute meals on wheels as Friday is their day to assist with the infirmed an aged in that capacity. We headed on back down the trail to the cabin and decided to head to Sparta for lunch and then to Una's Health Food Store for Braggs apple cider vinegar with "mother". We where surprised to find it at Una's and it was considerably cheaper that what we paid for it in Seminole. By the way Una is 91.

We headed over to the Mustard Seed restaurant for lunch which is in one of the downtown stores and they are open only for lunch. We always have had good food there and today was no exception. I had the bowl of broccoli and cheese soup with 1/2 a  wrap that consisted of turkey, bacon, tomato, mayo in a spinach wrap grilled and a Clausen pickle. Nancy had a cheese, tomato and bacon on sour dough bread grilled with pasta salad. Dewisheous as Annsley would say. We saw lots of church friends there as well as several familiar faces. We were back at the cabin by 1 PM.

I waterproofed the deck and back porch using a roller which took a good hour or so then did a few piddly odd jobs before we decided to head over to our "mountain mom's" to try our luck in her pond. Well we got a few bites but nothing serious except for the pesky deer flies that aggravated the tar out of us and Nancy saw a water snake; but no fish. We stayed about an hour before the flies finally drove us out of there. We stopped and visited with Helen for awhile before heading back to the cabin.

I fired the grille up and put a couple pork tenderloin chops on the fire with lots of Rosemary on top. Nancy fixed fresh broccoli and buttered red spuds to go along with the chops. Yumm was that ever good eatin' and once again dewisheous. After supper while Nancy cleaned up I fired up the riding mower and mowed all of the yards except for the woods back yard. It was after 8 when I decided to call it a day and headed in for the showers. As I write this post(my eyes are barely open) the Rays are beating the Florida Marlins 5-1 and after beating the Yanks last night are now tied for first place once again, LATER

No comments: