Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thursday

Well its hard to believe this was the last day of June, wow where did this month go. We have been here in the mountains for 6 weeks and the last couple days like today was a work day all except for after supper when we took a golf cart ride to the top and visited with Norm. He still isn't doing well with his health, plus he is still mourning the loss of his wife this past winter. I reassured him if he needs help to call me and he said he would. Anyhow after a 6:30 wake up it was downright cold at 51degrees so I hurriedly closed all the windows and donned a long sleeve shirt. Yikes that's winter in Florida. Nancy was all bundled up like it was Alaska. After my quiet time and the last buckwheat cake with a banana on top I headed out to check on the gardens.

There was no damage but the ground was still quite wet from the 4 inches of rain the day before and the heavy dew from last night. I checked the basement floor and it seems the bonding agent is holding the paint to the floor so that's a go. I got ready to head up on the scaffolding for what I hope is my last day for quite a while. It really is a life saver but does that ever tire you out climbing up and down and breaking it down several times a day as you move about. I finished about 3 PM and was it ever starting to get hot and the basement felt good to chill out in for awhile at 60 degrees. I finished up all of the stain and lacked just one corner of the cabin completing the job. That will have to wait for a week or so.

Nancy and I headed down stairs to put the basement in order; removing much of my tools to the shed, paints, etc. were moved to beneath the front porch storage area and of course my garden tools, buckets and water cans to the shed as well. We are just about ready for guests except for the safety fence around the deck area and of course weed edging and mowing which I will do on Saturday.

George Redman came by for a visit about 5 and then Carson and Carter came by as George was leaving. Finally Nancy got a chance put a delicious supper together of fettuccine Alfredo with grilled chicken and broccoli, man was that ever good and I licked the kettle clean. After the cleanup I headed down to the lower garden with the rotor-tiller to run through a few rows of plants as the rain really had the ground packed hard. Afterwards we took off on the golf cart. There was no hike today but we more than made up for that by going up and down on the stairs, the yard and the scaffolding. LATER

No comments: