Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday

Days like this are why we invested in mountain property in 1992. Wow is all I can say!! The morning was pretty much routine as I rolled out of the sack around 6:30. There was enough dew on the roof we could hear it dripping from the bump out onto the main tin roof. It was so quiet and still and except for a lonesome crow off in the distance there was no noise. After my quiet time and a leftover buckwheat cake I headed out to check the gardens. Since we had no rain Sunday evening the gardens had started to dry but was really to wet to attempt any hoeing.

I headed over to our "mountain moms" place to help her to smooth out her gravel driveway. It seems since all the rain and runoff there were ruts, gully's and a washboard effect. I loaded a large wooden pallet and a chain into the truck then headed over to see what affect dragging the pallet behind her garden tractor would have on the driveway. Well it was almost like having a tractor with a blade as the affects were great, plus she wouldn't have to hire someone with a tractor to scrape her drive. We filled in the ruts and smoothed out the washboards immediately as she drove her tractor and I raked and kept the pallet in the road. That only took an hour or so and then I headed home to work in the basement.

I gave the camouflaged extra refrigerator in the basement a base coat of white paint then headed out to loosen up the soil around the bedding plants. It was getting close to lunch as Nancy was finishing up hanging 2 loads of laundry. Wow is that a comfort sight to me with having laundry on the outside clothes line. I remember as a kid we always washed on Monday and it was my job to build a fire under a black kettle that we heated the water for the ringer washing machine. I grew up where we had no running water or a water heater or any indoor plumbing in the house and of course no clothes dryer. What an experience but I never gave it another thought.

I had received a call from a fellow pickle ball player I introduced the game to last summer and he called about having a foursome around 5:30 at the Roaring Gap Country Club so I had a large lunch with lots of carbs(leftover spaghetti)as I knew I would need the energy and I did as we played for 2 solid hours outside. The sun was hot but it was a splendid day with just enough coolness or dryness in the air to make for some great play. Wow was there ever some great rallies and close games, it was non-stop action!!!

I got back close to 8 PM and Nancy heated up the leftover chicken stir fry, green beans and some pasta, Yumm!!! I almost forgot to mention neighbor Gerald arrived in the early afternoon from Raleigh for a day or so and then Carson(Rays grandson)visited a couple times during the day. Well that's about it except for some basement work. LATER

No comments: