Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Wednesday

Well today was one of those days where you worked busy all day but saw little accomplishment. After a 6:30 wake up I did my quiet time and then made a breakfast of poached eggs, grits and left over fried ham. Man was that ever good eatin'. I headed out to check on the gardens then headed to the basement.

I finished removing everything that made contact with the floor except for the washer, dryer, fridge and my large workbench. I borrowed neighbor Gerald's hand cart which made for moving these items so much easier.I swept, scrubbed and then rinsed the floor then added some muractic acid to the water for some extra cleaning and etching of the well worn concrete floor. I finished just before noon and set the fan as well as the dehumidifier but its still not completely dry, so I will leave both on over night and hopefully I can get at least one coat on tomorrow.

We took off on our hike for the day just before noon because by then it was 82 and eventually it reached 90 again, wow that is unusual and no rain, anyhow we were whipped when we got by from the hike. Nancy had made a nice salad for Tuesday which we passed on because of those fresh mustard greens so that's what we had for lunch. Did that ever taste good and refreshing. There wasn't much I could to do speed up the drying process so I read for awhile and Nancy crashed on the bed for a nap. The cabin was quite comfortable despite the heat as a nice breeze kept it bearable. After she awakened we took the golf cart out to the mailbox then stopped off at the creek(Grant and Shirley"s). We played along the bank then did some swinging and finally played a game of horseshoes before heading back. Along the way I picked up a load of big rocks from the road and hauled them to a washed out spot in the lower yard.

We sat on the back porch(shade side of the cabin) and read, had our glass of vino and talked about what we were going to eat for supper. I picked some cilantro, thyme and hot red peppers for my baked potato and along with fresh broccoli and salmon cakes we had some scrumptious eatin'. After the cleanup we both headed out to work in the gardens as the sun was covered with what we thought was thunderstorm clouds, but there was only some rumbling in the distance. Once again no rain so I took the hose and hand watered all the gardens. The evening gnats where terrible so I built a fire and the smoke helped somewhat but they were dive bombings into your ears and eyes and their biting was annoying. I carried a green branch which I had to keep flicking back and forth when not near the fire and the smoke. We eventually gave up and headed inside before 8 PM. Its still looks like it could rain but I think we are in for another rainless evening.

I almost forgot to mention the deer we saw on our hike and the wild turkey which came for a visit to the lower garden. Last evening Amy called to say Ava was swinging Sam and forgot to get out of the way and he knocked her into the corner of the concrete table. She suffered a deep cut as well as bruising to her forehead so Tyler took her to the E.R. for her first stitches but seems the doc decided to use an adhesive instead. That was good for Ava as she doesn't like needles, LATER

No comments: