Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sunday

Well the day started out around 7 when I finally drug myself from the warm covers as it was once again down to the high 50's. There was dew dripping from the roof top otherwise it was very still except for a couple of mockingbirds. After my quiet time and bowl of oatmeal with blue berries and a banana I headed out to check on the gardens. There was no deer damage and I noticed several more small green tomato's as well as a couple small cucumbers starting to form. I even saw a couple very small Zucchini squash forming. I lost a yellow squash plant as well as my parsley the other day I think the heavy rain then wind broke them off. Not sure what happened but they were both broken off at ground level. I noticed my beets are starting to take off and hopefully by next week we can add some leaves to our salads.

We headed off to worship at Cornerstone about 9:30 and never anticipated it raining as the skies were blue with bright sunshine. After church we hooked up with Mechelle and Kathrine Dalton and headed over to where one of their mares was in with a stallion. There were 5 other foals already in the field so we ogled them before heading over to their farm where one of their paint mares gave birth to a colt(male)just this morning. He is such a cutie and already standing and moving around albeit a little shaky. We stopped and picked fresh lettuce from their garden on the way out of the pasture in front of a pretty good rain storm. It rained all the way home.

We had a quick late lunch then I headed out to do a few minor jobs like; cut out and paint the newly replaced pulpit by the fire circle as it was starting to pit and large holes had formed, then screwed the newly made hangar for my garden hose to the well house, and finally tied up my wine berry bushes as they were spreading out of bounds from their designated spaces below the gardens and over the septic. This kept me busy until we made arrangements to head over to the Galax, Va. area in the morning to pick black raspberries. Seems they are ready and they make the best jam ever so we will pick enough for 2 batches as we give most of it away to our family and friends. We will then head on into Wal-Mart for some needed items and to gas up while there. I need some black paint for the spacer boards on the cabin as I still have the scaffold in place as its much easier painting from it than from a ladder.

After a lite supper of grilled chicken breasts on a salad we took off for our hike of the day. We walked down to Grant and Shirley's and visited with them for awhile before stopping off at Russ and Linda's cabin. Our neighbor "Nub" was there doing some electrical work and he said he was going to start building on his cabin shortly as they presently live in a camper trailer. LATER

No comments: