Saturday, June 18, 2011

Saturday






I was awake at 6 AM as we had to get 2 large birds(chickens) ready for the smoker for lunch. We had family driving down from Woodstock, Va. for short visit and lunch. I was fixing beer-in-the rear birds and they need about 4 hours plus especially if they are over 5 pounds and these were about 5 1/2 each. I loaded the smoker with dried apple wood and they turned out a golden brown with some incredibly juicy meat.

After my quiet time I headed down to the lower gardens and discovered a couple deer had a midnight snack with my 1/2 runner beans last night so I rigged up a line around the garden and hung several pie pans as well white grocery bags on the line. Hopefully this will scare them away. The beans took a real hit as they left several plants even with the ground. oh well I knew it would happen sooner than later.

After rigging up the "scare fence" I headed into the basement to try and sort through some of the stuff I've collected in the basement over time. I worked on that until our family arrived and we got ready to eat a large lunch. Nancy made a squash casserole, pinto beans and biscuits to go with the chicken and Dee brought a potato salad and chocolate pie for dessert. Wow was that ever some good eatin' and we sat around listening to Paw Paw tell stories about our relatives from yesteryear. He has a mind for names, dates and places and ready gets tickled at himself when he tells stories of his youth and our ancestors.

Dee and Mike drove Paw Paw, Adeline and Kelly and Ms. Helen our mountain mom came as well. We had a grand time and really enjoyed seeing everyone. They left about 3:30 just ahead of a nasty thunderstorm that had winds, heavy rains(got 1/2 inch) and thunder & lightning. After they left we got ready for our 6:30 get together with Gerald & Jodi, Gabriel, Ray & Audiene and Carson and Eddie and Kimberly. We just had snacks with them as Nancy made salsa, Jodi made stuffed jalapeno peppers and Kimberly made layered taco dip and Audiene brought oatmeal chocolate cookies. The night was young when the gals went up by 4 games so we played on and we tied it up at 5 games each so the tiebreaker was won by us in a close game but we prevailed for our first win of the season. Guys Win!!!!

Its nearly 11 PM and I'm fading fast as it been a non-stop day, LATER

No comments: