Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wednesday

It was a little cloudy this AM with temp's in the low 60's. The sun did appear from time to time during the day, but overall it turned out to be a great day for outside work. After sleeping in until 7:15 I did my quiet time and had a lite breakfast of cantaloupe and toast. Both needed to be used up so I'm the human garbage disposal. I can't stand to see food wasted or going stale. Growing up in the country we were people who did not waste as we grew, hunted or farmed raised most of our vegetables and meat.

I did a little garden work; checking for deer damage and found none. I then started cutting stakes for my tomato's, peas and beans from the back woods. Nancy and I walked about 10 Am and we only stopped one time going up the back trail. Wow what a difference from a week ago when we stopped 4 times going up that steep trail. After the hour hike I headed over to neighbor Ray's on the riding mower and mowed his grass. That took about an hour so afterwards Nancy made some tuna fish sandwiches on pita bread. After lunch I loaded up Nancy on the golf cart and we motored over to Ray's to pick cherries. He has 3 trees and they are loaded. We picked about a gallon and 1/2 of which we kept a gallon. That took about as long to pick them as it did to pit them. I want to make a little homemade wine as well as a cobbler when family comes from Florida. The cherries are on the small size and a bit tart.

After pitting the cherries I took off with the weed wacker to trim up Ray's yard and our driveway. I cleaned the ditches of leaves and debris. We stopped and visited with Ray before heading home for dinner.By now its after 5 PM, so Nancy fried up the last 2 egg plants we brought from our Florida garden(sure hope Laurie and Jim are picking the ones left on the plant), put a couple of sweet potato's in the micro wave and I fired up the grill for a couple of small sirloin steaks. Nancy also opened a can of collards,turnip greens and kale.

During dinner we had a soft rain shower that allowed me to wash the mud from the truck after last nights storm. The rain lasted about 30 minutes and cooled things down into the 60's which made for a great after dinner walk around the yards and garden. The new grass I sowed last week is showing some colors and the flowering plants are starting to head up with buds. It should be a beautiful scene in a couple of weeks if we continue with this rain. Also the new potato's I planted the end of May are coming through the ground as well as are the pole beans.

Well I've rambled on enough as you can tell my life here is so much more busy than the life I live in Florida. I finally feel as if I'm getting back into shape as the muscles have quit aching so much. Nancy and I really miss our family and especially Ava and Annsley; however Ava is coming up over the fourth of July and Annsley is coming the first week in August. LATER

No comments: