Saturday, June 13, 2009

Saturday

Well the day started out with dew dripping from the roof, birds singing and Nancy feeling kinda tired and with little pep. We decided it would be best if we just hung close to home instead venturing out to Galax. Nancy is feeling the effects of menopause and she is like a yo-yo; one minute she feels great and the next she is ready for a nap. Oh well such is life when you get older and go through the change. Yikes!!!

After my quiet time I had a lite breakfast of cereal and a banana before heading out to do a garden check for deer damage. I found none so I moved on to my next project of taking off the blades on my riding mower and sharpening them. Afterwards I cranked up the weed eater and edge the whole property which took about an hour. While waiting for the dew to dry on the grass I transplanted some beets, lettuce and marigolds. Nancy decided she felt better so we took off for our daily hike to the top of the mountain. It was a great day for walking as the temps were still in the 70's with a slight breeze and bright sunshine.

After our hike we had a quick lunch of tuna fish salad and corn chips. By now the grass is dry enough to mow so I cranked up the riding machine and knocked this yard out in less than an hour. My does it make a difference riding up and down this yard instead of walking and pushing a mower. I almost forgot to mention last week when Nancy and I were picking cherry's from our neighbor Ray trees, I picked enough to make a gallon of cherry wine. I started it yesterday morning and checked on its progress today. Well its cooking(bubbling) in the fermenter. This will be a first for me. The wild blackberries initially looked great when we first got here with tons of bloom however I don't know if the heavy rain and hail knocked the blooms off or not;but I don't see as many. I hope to make a gallon of it as well along with some peach wine.

Well after a dinner of leftover grilled chicken on a salad we decided to take an extended golf cart ride. First we road out to the mailbox then down by the creek then up the mountain to the top. We could Winston-Salem from the top about 70 miles away and noticed what appeared to be rain in various areas down off the mountain so we felt we had best head back to the cabin. We did encounter a few sprinkles but nothing else so far.

Nancy did much better as the day progressed and is now having a hot cup of coffee while I'm having a cup of hot chamomile tea. Tomorrow is church day and tomorrow evening we are entertaining the Dalton Gang while celebrating Mechelle parents(Gerald and Kaye) 45 wedding anniversary with an old fashion Italian dinner. YUMM. LATER

No comments: