Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thursday

Top of the day to all. The morning was just a typical N.C. mountain morning with stillness, crisp fresh air and blue skies overhead. I did a quick check for deer in the yard and garden and finding none; I then proceeded with my usual routine of a cup of green tea, handful of supplements and vitamins and my morning quiet time with the CREATOR. Wow, Nancy and I have so much to be thankful for and that I feel like part of the day is missing without my special time of reflection.

We headed out to Galax, Va around 9:30 after a lite breakfast of oatmeal, banana and peach. We headed out to the farmers market and stocked up on Amish butter(2 lbs package) from Pennsylvania. This is the best tasting butter I have ever eaten. Next we picked up some fresh 1/2 runner beans, new potato's(we like to make a meal out of these cooked together), YUMMM. Next was fresh N.C. blueberries, peppers and apples. After the market we stopped at Yoder's Mennonite market on the way back into Galax and bought some fresh baked breads. The baking is done on the premises and the smell is sooo goood. Can't wait to eat a slice of the sour dough spread with Amish butter.

We next checked out Lowes for some more plants. Nancy wanted some geraniums and I needed a perennial climbing vine for the arbor. I found a purple Clematis. Hopefully the deer won't eat this one like they did with my orange azalea's, however I did put a chicken wire cage around this beauty just in case they are tempted.

Our next stop was Wal-Mart. Once again we stocked up, made pictures from the camera chip and bought a set of walkie talkies. Nancy thinks we need to keep in touch when we out of sight with each other. Our next stop was at Subway for lunch before heading out of town. Just outside of town is a small market(Horton's) with a fresh butcher shop. Their meat is always top rated and today whole pork tenderloins were on sale at $1.68 a pound. We sliced a couple chops off and I grilled them for supper along with peas, rice and a fresh salad. I had a couple slices of bread with that good Amish butter for dessert.

After getting back to the cabin around 1:30 I planted the vine and potted the geraniums. Nancy felt we should get our hike in as the clouds were building. We saw a couple on top we met last year but other than that it was just a refreshing yet tiring hike. The path that goes up from our back yard is nearly straight up and requires at this time in our visit at least 3 stops. Last year we could do it in one stop just before we left to go back to Florida. I really thought all those workouts on the pickle ball court would have left me in better shape. Actually I think the mountain is growing taller and steeper.After dinner I repainted the repaired picnic table.

Carson Todd came for one of his many visits and wanted to play checkers. He brought his homework with him as I mentioned the other day about how important it was for him to do good so he wouldn't have to repeat the 3rd grade. Well before we played checkers I checked his homework and found a couple math errors. We corrected them and I explained why the corrections were necessary.

Well the rain has started to fall once again at a nice soft pace on the tin roof; after going all day with out any measurable amount. Well, will go for now. It was good to see the Ray's are back on the winning track with 3 wins in a row.LATER

No comments: