Thursday, June 25, 2009

Wednesday and Thursday

Top of the day to all who read these ramblings. If you may have noticed there were no words from this blogger yesterday as the system was down last night. But all is well today. I feel like I've been; cheated, left out and whatever when I can't be in communication with this crazy Internet. I'm sure glad I don't have a cell phone or I would go nuts. Whats with us folks and being in touch at the flick of a switch to gobs of data, people and places. I remember a family member from my youth walking through the woods 5 miles away to use the phone(a party line as well) to call the sheriff when my aunt was attacked and severely beaten. Oh well such is life.

Well so much for yesteryear but I do like to reminisce about the old days and how life was much simpler then(I think). Wednesday was a just drop dead gorgeous day with temp's starting out in the 50's and finally getting to 82. There was bright sunshine and it was quite warm in the sun but once into the shade there was a nice breeze so you cooled down quickly. After our quiet times and left over buckwheat pancakes for breakfast(microwaved-now there is something unheard of when I was a kid but we couldn't do without it now) I did a check on the gardens and had to hand water the plants from my rain barrel. So what is a rain barrel well its a 55 gallon drum open on the end which water falls from the roof and fills the barrel for future use. I remember when the women use take this water specifically for washing their hair as rainwater is very soft, no conditioners needed. You have to keep a visual check on the water in the barrel because if not used; mosquitoes will lay their eggs in it after a couple weeks and you will get little wigglers and then big 'squiters. To remedy that problem is you water your garden by hand, dipping from the barrel. We haven't had any rain for a week and we good use a nice shower.

After the garden chores I painted the picnic table and benches I restored and repaired so we will have plenty of outside places to dine on. Nancy and I took our morning hike for about an hour and came back for a light lunch. I finished up the pasta dish with the shiitake mushrooms that were grown locally by a church member and Nancy had a frozen beef and bean burrito. Yumm great lunch. Our neighbors invited us down to their cabin which is a stone's throw away for taco salad for dinner and for domino's. We had brownies and ice cream for dessert. Nancy won in the end. This is a gals summer for winning.

After lunch on Wednesday I cranked up the riding mower and spent about 2 hours mowing all of the yards; front, back and in the woods grass. While I did that Nancy spread fertilizer and lime on the front and back yards. I must buy more lime today while we are in town for the grass in the woods. Afterwards I spent about another hour walking up and down the yards(hills) with the weed eater making everything look just beautiful. The smell of the fresh cut grass is just intoxicating. Nancy refers to this as fresh cut air.

Well we are making a list for town supplies as we are at least 1/2 hour or more away from the nearest grocery. It's quite different than hopping in your car and your in Publix in 3 minutes; about a mile away. Oh well I love the look of mountains, trees and tons of flowers on the way to Sparta as opposed to condo's, cars and concrete. Well I've rambled on long enough so will close for now. LATER

No comments: