Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunday Morning

Well Saturday was a day of first in a long time once again as we headed to the beach after lunch. The morning started out the usual with the roosters crowing around 5'ish. We managed to tune them out until nearly 7 before rolling out to start the day. I had lots of chores to do so after my spot of tea and the posting of yesterday's happenings so my grand kids could read about their grand parents some day in the future; I had a lite breakfast of poached eggs and grits.

I headed up on the roof to blow away all of the sticks, leaves and debris that collects there from the big oaks that surround the abode. Then I sprayed some malathion around the perimeter of the roof as we get these little ants that make their way into the house from time to time. I think the dead limbs that fall on the roof from the oak are usually infested with them so occasionally they intrude and Nancy isn't a lover of ants. Anyhow after that chore I pulled out the hedge clippers and began whacking away at all the vines on the fences, shaping the bushes out front and on the side of the house. Nancy decided to make a Sam's Club run with her mother as we are smoking some ribs for the big dinner on Monday as we celebrate Memorial Day with the family. We are bringing Annsley and Gabe home with us today(Sunday)after church so Bob and Jill will join us Monday for supper and to pick up the kiddos.

While Nancy was gone I continued to fight the ants as I blew powered boric acid into the attic with the leaf blower. This creates a fine dust which covers the ants and causes them to die. After that unpleasant job I mowed and edged then watered the back and side gardens. I had Zinnias that sprouted in just 2 days from seeds so they were now about 2-3 inches in height, so I separated them and transplanted them into 9 packs. I have about 40 plants that look as if they will survive. We love Zinnias, plus they are hardy and make just beautiful multicolored flowers.

After a lunch of leftover soup for me we decided to head to the beach at our old haunt on Redington Shores. The truck thermometer read 92 degrees but the air seemed rather dry with a strong off shore breeze. We finally found a place to park and when we walked onto the beach we understood why. The place was jumping with sunbathers. We set up the big umbrella only to have the wind carry it away a couple times before we decided to leave it closed. We then noticed some kids that looked like Ava and Sam playing in the water down from us and sure enough it was them. We played with them and then spent most of the next hour or so in the water. The water was just perfect not to hot and just enough coolness to be refreshing. We stayed about 2 hours and when we left the temperature had risen to 97, yeow that was hot but not sweltering as the air was dry.

We got back about 3:30 so I took the garden hose and washed off all the salt and sand in the backyard and did that ever feel great. Nancy headed for the shower. After letting the sun dry me I ventured in to watch the Ray's and Yankee's and once again with a 2 run lead in the 9th with 2 outs and 2 strikes on the batter the Yank's score 2 runs to tie and then went on to win in the top of the 11th. It's gonna' be a long season I'm afraid for the Ray's. I picked some red and green peppers and we sautéed them up with some rotisserie chicken from Sam's to make fajitas for supper along with some yellow squash. Wow we are eating healthy today.

It was a fun day and I can't believe we decide to start going to the beach with just one week to go before we head to higher ground. This is such a beautiful vacation place and the beaches are just awesome and we live 5 miles from it; what's wrong with this picture, oh well, LATER 

No comments: