Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wednesday Morning

Well Tuesday was just fabulous weather wise that started with the high 50's in the morning and nearly reached 80 by late afternoon. Bright sunshine, blue skies and just enough of a breeze to make it comfortable for working outside in the garden and reading under the big oak in the afternoon.

The morning started with the usual dueling by our residence roosters next door and thus a roll out around 6:30. After my quiet moments and a lite breakfast I pedalled out to the rec for some 2 plus hours of pickle ball. We had a good crew of players and lots of wet shirts. The play has recently improved with a tune up for the up and coming Good Life Games in March. I think I will pass this year as I still have tendinitis in my right elbow. I'm able to play daily but when I have a pardner that would depend on me for possible 4-5 matches in a day during the tournament; I'd best not let them down. Anyhow its taking longer than I want to heal and that's because I don't want to rest it for weeks. Oh well!!!

I came home and worked in the garden transplanting some onion seedlings I started from seeds. These will be scallions only for eating. I then fed all of my new seedlings with half strength Miracle Grow and then picked tomatoes. The 2 huge ones I picked to keep the fruit rats from biting into are finally turning in the window sill. At this time I'm getting a half dozen or more large cherry type tomatoes but the Celebrity plants are just loaded with nice size 'maters. I cut a beautiful head of cabbage for Cole slaw for supper to go along with our chicken fajitas. Wow were they ever tasty.

Amy, GG and Sam came for lunch and we dined on the fresh salad as well as used up some of the leftover crusty bread which Nancy toasted in the oven with garlic butter. No wonder I can't lose this spare tire; just too much consuming going on here. Sam played outside after lunch and before he left for the day he likes for me to show him "monster trucks on the 'puter" he says. We read the rest of the afternoon and I caught up with trying to get in touch with some of my old Air Force buddies. It seems I will need some buddy letters to say I was flying into Vietnam during the 60's as my discharge papers did not indicate I had ever been there, WHAT!!! I'm sitting here looking at the AIR MEDAL award for 35 missions into the combat zone and I have several oak leaf clusters for each additional 35 missions; and there is no record of that. I'm sure glad I looked into this as I must set the record straight; not that it's going to make a huge difference for my family. I wonder how many other men were not treated right when they discharged from the service?

Well after those yummy fajitas we did the clean up and spoke with our "mountain mom" Helen in the mountains. The weather there is awful with snow, sleet, rain and below freezing temps and more is on the way. We keep trying to get her to come south for a couple months or at least until the weather gets better. It tough on being weathered inside that cabin for days at a time with no sunshine or the chance to get out an exercise. She is an outside person and quite the worker.


We tuned into Fox News then I watched the Lightning beat the Maple Leafs in Hockey  and it wasn't long for lights out, LATER Here are a few fresh herbs from the garden and last nights supper!!!

No comments: