Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving Day(Thursday)

Well it was another sleepless night so there was little difference between the days. I stopped taking the drugs as they caused me too much anxiety with the racing pulse, panting breathing, sleeplessness and abominable discomfort. It seemed once I got on my feet and outside I was rather normal but as soon as the darkness fell and I tried to sleep all the TOY STORY like things had a mind of their own in my body.

We were going to call Bob and cancel our dinner with him and Jill's family due to our "not wanting to infect them" but he said all of them including Gabe who was up all night, had the crud as well. So our day was spent planning on our get together at his house. We had a leisurely breakfast of leftover 'taters which made great home fries and eggs. Afterwards I headed out to check on the gardens and do some hand watering. Everything is looking good and really starting to grow. I have 2 rows of bush beans up as well as a few 1/2 runners. The tomato plants are about a foot tall and I will put them in the ground in a day or so. It's best to plant marigolds around the plants which help keep the nematodes away, but my marigolds are just not big enough to do the job yet.

I made a couple "turkey day" calls and learned it was colder than blue blazes both in Virginia and in the mountains with lots of frost. Amy called us from Kansas and it was really nice nice there with warm temps. My oldest sister, Josie called after lunch and we chatted for quite awhile. It seems our Aunt Nancy Orndorff is in the final stages of her life due to inoperable cancer; I called her last week too cheer her up. I was the ring bearer in her wedding when I was about 5. She was the original Nancy Triplett.

Nancy put together a corn casserole and got the fresh asparagus ready to take with us to Riverview around 2 PM. I headed over to Amy and Tyler's to check on their place and to hand water his garden. It was really starting to warm up with temps in the low 70's, bright sunshine and just enough of a breeze to keep the humidity away.

Gabe and Annsley were fired up an excited about having company for the day and especially with both sets of their grand parents there to love them up. GG their only living great grand parent was there as well with Betsy(Nancy's sister) and her son Braden. Jill had the table decorated nicely as well as the rest of the house. The house furniture was moved around and changed up since we were last there about 6 months ago.

Well we forgot and left the camera at home in Seminole so all of our descriptions will be oral but I must say this dinner was awesome not only to look at but the taste just melted in your mouth. Bob did the turkey which had been soaked in tea and salt water for 36 hours. It was golden brown and looked fake at first it was so tasty as he added ground mushrooms and herbs to add to paste covering the bird; then this was eventually moved down into the gravy, Yeow what taste. Susan made decadent mash spuds(Paula Deen style with real butter) and Brian is quite the baker as well. He did 3 pies and the decorations were really neat but the flavor was awesome. The pies were covered in cut outs from dough leaves, acorns and turkeys. Sorry we forgot the camera but they were really something to see. GG made her famous dried stuffing and candied yams, Betsy brought her frozen cranberry salad and Nancy and brought the corn pudding and asparagus. The meal was awesome to look at as well as taste.

We stayed around until 7:30 or so as I was still hacking with this dry cough so we stopped at CVS and I bought some Robitussin Peak Cold expectorant and suppressant. Web MD mentioned this by name as the only OTC product recommended for colds and flu. The pharmacist concurred  it would work and it did. After only one dose I was immediately relieved to see some break throughout in that dry cough which soon became a wet cough. I was planning on sleeping in the recliner which would maybe help with getting some much needed sleep.  Around midnight my chest cleared and I headed to the spare bed and got several hours of rest for the first time in 5-6 nights. Believe me when I say this is good stuff and I didn't feel antsy after taking it. LATER

No comments: