Saturday, October 27, 2012

Friday

Once again it was another calm beautiful day in the mountains before the storm strikes. We slept in as usual until 8 AM, gosh I love this retirement scene. Anyhow after our cups of hot liquids; tea for me java for Nancy we ate a bowl of oatmeal with wild blueberries and a banana. I know it wasn't very exciting but Nancy got back her test results and while they were good they could have been better. The doctor said she was doing good within the parameters of normal, but she wants to do better as do I. The past few weeks with company and all we ate foods rich in fat, lots of gourmet cheeses and dishes, aah but it was good and now we must hike more and watch our intake of the good stuff, oh well!!!

We got a load of clothes ready for the washer then I headed out with the weed whacker for my last yard trimming of this year. There were a few straggly dead flowers that needed to be cut down in the flower beds. After that chore I fired up the riding mower for a last mow as well but I decided to also mulch up the leaves which had covered the yards again. I think I used the leaf blower 3 other times to clear the back woods yard and it was covered. The trees are almost bare so this should do it for this fall. Anyhow I mowed and mulched for a couple hours as the outside temps were just right for cutoffs and t-shirts; even Nancy had shorts on.

After a lunch of Zuppa soup and buttered crusty bread I headed out with the lime spreader and gave the yards a heavy coat of pelletized lime until my spreader broke again. These things are made of cheap plastic so I spend the next hour after our hike to the top fixing it. We stopped and visited with Norm, Joe and Jetta for a few before kicking our way through the deep piles of leaves that littered the road and woods. The leaves must be a foot deep in places. It was such a noisy hike as the dried leaves give you away to any wild life.

I fixed the spreader with a few old fashion techniques; wood and screws. I actually think it's stronger now than when I first purchased it, oh well!!! We got ready to head down to Mt. Airy for our last horse sale this year. We were meeting up with Mechelle, Kallie, Katelyn and her new beau, James as well as the first time for me meeting Roger and Lauren Brady at Goober's Restaurant. Yikes the food was awesome and they were very generous in their portions as well(there goes the eatin' right theory). Anyhow we had a good tasting meal of; Pennie pasta with grilled chicken breasts in a cream sauce of dried 'maters, artichokes,etc for me along with a salad and garlic bread and Nancy had the smoked brisket with fries; of course after tasting mine she wanted to trade half for half so I did. Wow was I ever stuffed. The rest of the gang had steaks, salads, wings (they looked awesome), sandwiches and fried pickles for an appetizer.

We made it to the horse sale and saw our old friends Eddie and Kimberley as well. I like horses and I must say there were some beautiful animals that were being given away at the low prices they were bringing. If I were here at the cabin full time I would have a couple in a pasture some where but that's another day; possibly before I get too old ride. Nancy decides that move as I need her young body to look out for me when that times comes, oh well!!! We stayed until around 9 PM then I was thoroughly depressed as some horses were sold that looked as if they had been malnourished and lacked proper care; depressing to me.

We saw several deer on the way back up the mountain and it was still warm around 60 degrees but with just a slight chill in the air; enough that you needed a long sleeve shirt or jacket. I tuned in the Gold Rush show and watched those people who go nuts seeking the yellow metal in Alaska and now in Ghana, Africa. Interesting to say the least but I would love the adventure of doing so. Anyhow it was too late to make this post by the time I hit the shower, LATER

 

No comments: