Friday, March 9, 2012

Thursday

Well it was a busy day with high temps but the humidity wasn't as high as it has been thanks to a stiff eastern breeze. I slept in until nearly 7 even though Chester was crowing at 5'ish. After my quiet moments I poached a couple eggs in the microwave and then had a sweet seedless pink grapefruit to get me started for the day. I headed outside to work in the yards and garden. I wanted to mow before all the dew was dried up by the sun which helped to keep the dust down from all the fuzzies and pollen that had fallen from the oak trees. I gathered up 4 huge garbage cans of leaves, fuzzies and grass from the yards then mulched them and spread it on my gardens.

My neighbor came over and told me about his garden he just put in about a week ago at the barn where he stables his horses and he has no earth worms there so I dug him a bunch from my garden. I transplanted some more lettuce seedlings then pulled a couple radishes and green peppers. I gave a huge bag of collards to some old friends on Wednesday and I need to pick beans on Friday. The tomato plants I had in the ground since October I pulled up even though they were still green but the nematodes were having a field at the roots as well as they destroyed my Swiss chard. The new cherry tomato plants are loaded with fruit but none seem to be ripening which is a sign even though I've planted marigolds around them, the bloody little buggers have invaded them as well. Oh well I'm almost inclined to not grow or attempt to grow tomatoes in Florida anymore; but the commercial growers do alright. I need to find out what they use to control them. We use to have a insecticide that you could treat the ground with but its been taken off the market by the EPA.

Nancy took off to have her hair colored and cut so I worked on a project at the back of the house where some of the stucco is letting loose from the back wall which had previously been painted. I don't believe the fellow who stuccoed my house used enough glue on the painted surfaces so its starting to let loose in just a couple placing. That is the next project on my honey-do list to complete before we head out to the mountains in May.

We had a nice long chat with our "mountain Mom" and the daffodils are starting to bloom and show off their beautiful colors. We are curious if the tulips bulbs we planted last fall are coming up and she is making a trip over to check them out for us and send pics. We had burritos for supper using lots of my herbs and peppers they were dewisheous. After the cleanup we took off on a long walk thru the hood until nearly dark. Afterwards we settled in to watch the Idol and were disappointed to see one of the Bay Areas singer's be sent home. I was never a fan of his voice to begin with but seemed to be a very nice nice that couldn't sing to good.

Well since there is no pickle ball until next Monday I'm having a few withdrawals with these extra 2 1/2 hours in the morning but I will survive as today I head over to GG's to trim her oak tree and clean off her roof and gutters; not exactly a cardio workout but it will keep me busy, LATER

No comments: