Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Monday

Well the morning was much the same as usual with a 5'ish wake up crow from Chester who continued to crow until way past daylight. I was awake and ready to go before he ever started crowing as today was tournament day at the rec for the Good Life Games. I'm like a kid when it comes to something new or different from a routine and sleep very little the night before. After my quiet time and a hardy breakfast of grits, poached eggs and a grapefruit I pedalled out to the rec for the tournament. There was a good crowd of different players from throughout the state but mostly from around the surrounding areas.

My new pardner Keith and I played first the 2 best male players in the opening match and we were on fire. I think the opposing team won a total of 5 points as we won 11-2and 11-3 in the match and then we waited for an hour or two before playing again. We were unstoppable with those players as well and shut them out giving up 3 points, 11-3 and 11-0. That match gave us the gold medal in our age group and so we were through for the day; however there were 2 men from New York who were in the 50 age group who wanted to play us for fun. We went 3 sets and they won the first one 11-6 and we won the second set 11-5 and the third set we were ahead 10-5 and wound up losing 14-12. We had long rallies and some great points.I finally had a wet shirt when that match was over, it was fun and exciting to say the least.

Our girls(Nancy and Judy) from Seminole didn't do so well against a good team from near Orlando. The mixed doubles play is being played on Tuesday with my pardner, Keith teaming up with Cheryl who is an excellent player as well and they should win their division. My mixed doubles pardner Mitsuko in now back in college and has classes today so I'm without a mixed doubles pardner, however there is usually a team member who can't be there for some reason so I may go by in case one is needed for play. We didn't have as much competition from around the state as usual. I think because we only have 2 courts in play and now the interest and participation has grown so much it takes too long to hold a huge tournament, especially now they have moved the tournament to 2 days of competition, oh well. Its great to see so much interest in the sport and it really is addicting but oh so good for you. This game is great for seniors and all tournaments are broken down into age groups and you must be at least 50 to enter and then its usually in 5 year age increments depending on the mumber of participants and teams entered.

Well Amy and the kiddos were over for lunch so I got in reading a few books for Sam before they headed home for afternoon naps. Nancy was spending the night with her mother as GG was scheduled for a colonoscopy on Tuesday so she was to start her laxative drinking during the afternoon and evening. Nancy wanted to be there in case she may need some help during the night and then to drive her early Tuesday for the procedure. I spent the evening planting some beet seeds and transplanting Marigold seedling. The hot pepper seeds I planted last week are up and I picked several small broccoli heads to add to our supper of yellow rice and chicken. Nancy took off after the supper clean up.

I chased squirrels out of my newly transplanted seedling and watered the gardens and yard until dark then settled in to read until the lights went out around 10:30, sure was quiet around here without Nancy as I watched whatever I wanted on ESPN. LATER

No comments: