Thursday, January 1, 2009

HAPPY NEW YEAR
















Well Wednesday turned out to be a bright sun shiny day with cooler temps, into the low 70's. Finally we got to open the the windows and turn the A/C off. After my quiet time and a lite breakfast I climbed aboard the bike and pedaled to the Rec. There were 8 of us with 2 visitors (Leslie's daughter and friend)and we played hard for about 2 plus hours. Nancy came by and walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. It's not quite like walking up the back trail(in the mountains)through the woods but it is a cardio workout.

After the workout I harvested lettuce; romaine, bibb and leaf also some spinach and beet greens for a great salad for lunch. Amy and Ava came and we played outside in the cool refreshing crisp afternoon air. Wow was it ever nice. It reminded me of a N.C. spring afternoon. Oh well its cold as the dickens there now with a temperature of 7 degrees this morning. Yikes, that to cold to enjoy outside activities especially if its overcast.

Nancy and I got ready for guests for the evening. She made a ton of hoagie sandwiches, fresh salsa(using homegrown jalapeno peppers) and sweet tea. I managed to catch up on my reading and have just about finished a must read for anyone interested in Afghanistan history,social and cultural mores. Wow its a realistic read especially for women and how they are regarded in that society. The title is A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS written by an Afghany native son KKALED HOSSEINI he also has another book titled THE KITE RUNNER. I had to fly into that area of the world(Karachi, Pakistan) back in the 60's and its a desolate place. Anyhow if your a man the Taliban was your cup of tea after all the infighting that took place after the soviets finally pulled out.

Well we started the evening out with The Perry's; Jon, Melinda and Ava's buddy Phoenix came by bringing a pot of French onion soup complete with toasted bread with cheese on top. YUMMM!! Amy and Tyler came next with Ava and a pot of one of my favorite soups; Zuppa Des Con ta(sic) anyhow its the potato type soup(made with some of my homegrown kale) that Olive Garden serves, YUMMM!!! Dan and Carol brought brownies and next Jim, Laurie and Kayla(next door neighbors) came late but with a pot of black-eyed pea soup. I didn't get to eat any(I had already pigged out) but that type of soup is part of my upbringing and a comfort food. Today we are heading to G/G house(Nancy's folks) for another New Year tradition and gastronomic delight; sauerkraut(Jill's favorite-NOT) and pork roast along with kielbasa and dogs, smashed spuds and home grown garden salad with Greek(homemade of course) dressing. No wonder I put on 5 lbs. over Christmas. Thank goodness for pickle ball or I would be as big a horse or house. Oh well the joys of eating!!! I should mention that Nancy made a pumpkin cheesecake, but one of my resolutions is I'm off desserts until which time I lose this roll around the middle. I never tried the pecan coated brownies that Carol brought last night but I did drink 3 glasses of Coca Cola around 10 Pm while we played domino's. Something which I seldom drink.

After eating, The Lundh's( neighbors) had to make an appearance at another party so they left, the Perry's left(Phoenix's bed time) and we then we put Ava to bed. Ava suffered her first bloody nose as she and Phoneix collided head-on while running in the kitchen.It was nearly 9 PM so we brought out the double 15 domino's and played until just moments before the ball dropped, or the possum dropped or what ever floats your boat to the countdown of 2009. I'm not sure how I will use the extra second we were granted by whoever but I know one thing; Dick Clark looked like an automaton or whatever those things are called in the Hall of Presidents at Mickey Mouse World. American Bandstand will never be the same for me after that. Back to the domino's game Tyler and Carol were best until the end with Tyler winning out and Nancy and I were somewhere over the rainbow. It was past our bedtimes I guess.

The fireworks were loud and every where, even our noisy neighbors at the Canaday's(up the street) with their raucous guests where out an about disturbing the peace. Those Christians!!!We visited with them until after 1 AM before it got to cold to stay out with short pants on.

Nancy and I want to thank all of you who help make our life exciting and give us memories of laughter, friendship, sharing meals together, lifting those we know up in prayer and for giving me something to write about, while leaving something of who we are to our grand children. GOD BLESS and may this year find all of you and us in HIS favor. LATER!!

No comments: