Saturday, December 31, 2011

Friday

It was a little warmer this morning with temp's in the middle 50's as I awakened to the fowl music from Sams feathered friend, who I named Chester around 5'ish. Chester by the way for those of you who have just tuned in to this rambling post is a checkered gray and white rooster who lives next door and is only separated from our yard by a chain link fence. He has a healthy set of lungs and a crow that pierces the early morning silence way before dawn. Anyhow after my cup of hot green tea and a few moments to reflect on all the blessings of life and to lift up those who we know who are in dire need of comfort and healing; I started my day with a bowl of oatmeal with a banana and a little cinnamon sprinkled on top.

I pedalled out to the rec for what would be my last pickle ball play for 2011 around 7:15. We had 4 players to start with but that quickly grew as several straggled in throughout the morning. I did the whole 2 1/2 hours for the first time since I came down with this congestion in the chest a little over 3 weeks ago. I felt great but could tell by 10 AM I was ready for a rest. The coughing stayed away most of the morning and day except for the first thing in the morning when it seems to be the most pronounced. I jumped on the bike and headed home facing a stiff northern breeze but with bright sunshine.

I watered the gardens and gave them a little boost of Miracle Grow especially the lettuces after picking a huge colander of 3 lettuces, kale and beet greens which I cleaned and then made a nice fresh garden salad for lunch to go along with a frozen pizza that we doctored up with some fresh sliced mushrooms. Amy and the kiddos ate with us as well. After eating Sam and I headed outside to the back yard where I sat in the sun an read and he and Chester(rooster) ran back and forth along the fence and Sam occasionally grabbing him by the head and played with his comb(the top of the head that is red). That rooster loves for Sam to touch him, anyhow after a while Sam wanted to ride bikes so I took out the trike and we played out front on the sidewalk. Ava came out and we played for nearly an hour and at times sought the shade of the big oak as the sun was downright hot.

The kids left for their naps and I was looking forward to a little rest as well around 2 PM, but first I needed to pick collard greens and get them on to boil for our supper. Nancy took off to the rec for her workout and I read this awesome account of a young Vietnamese girl who got away from her country before the fall to the communists and eventually came to America and went back to her country some 20 years later in 1986. This is her autobiography and you can learn so much history about that war torn country as she relates how our involvement was doomed almost from the beginning. It kind of reminds me about our history and the Revolutionary War we fought to break from England and gain our independence; but that is where it stops. This is a must read for those of you who like history and the different cultural conditions that third world folks face just to live day to day. WHEN HEAVEN AND EARTH CHANGED PLACES by Le Hy Hayslip is a must read!!!

Nancy spoke with her mom in Michigan and nothing much has changed with her dad's conditions as he is barely able to get out of bed for any length of time. The swelling from fluid retention is quite pronounced and his blood sugar fluctuates extremely from very low to high almost daily. Her folks will celebrate 60 years of marriage on New Years Day and we are hoping they will be able to celebrate it with a nice meal prepared by Eric's family. I think her dad wants scallops, so that's a good sign he is still planning ahead. Please keep them both in your thoughts and prayers.

Speaking of a great supper we had one last night as we smelled the collards cooking with some ham based added to the pot for additional flavor as well as chicken fried deer tenderloin, my oh my was that ever dewisheous and I made a nice milk gravy from the fry pan to cover the steaks. Thanks again to the Dalton guys who made this possible. That is the cleanest smelling and tasting red meat ever.

Well not much else as we chilled after supper watching the FOX NEWS and I watched a little college football, LATER

No comments: