Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Monday

Once again we had a bright sunshine day with temps in the 50's to start the day and eventually reached the upper 70's. A strong northeastern breeze was evident for most of the day keeping just enough of a chill in the air to make it pleasant even in the direct sun. After my morning quiet time and a navel orange and a banana I pedalled out to the rec for the first time since last Tuesday for some pickle ball. It was good to stroke the ball again and I had some good play for about an hour and a half before I decided to call it a day. I'm still not back a 100% as I'm still showing some minor effects of the upper respiratory infection that came as a result of a cold. It was good to see most all the players and I felt welcomed back.

I stopped off at the library and picked up a couple reads before heading home to hand water the gardens. I then headed over to Amy and Tyler's to put out their garbage and to water their garden as well. I picked about a pound or so of green beans and were they ever beautiful. I did find where some creature was eating the beans laying on the ground and discovered a fat cut worm the size of my little finger chopping away. Well I took care of him and looked for others. I'm sure there are others but they are so hard to pick out from the soil and mulch.

Nancy and I had an early lunch then got ready to take her dad's car to be serviced where he wanted it serviced then we headed to Sam's club to pick up a few items we were out of; plus we needed to kill some time while the car was being serviced. After shopping Nancy dropped me off to drive the car back to her folks house then we headed for her doctors appointment because she too had the runny nose, coughing and watery red eyes. Actually she was beginning to feel better the longer she was out in the air but the Dr. prescribed a Z pack for her as well so we stopped off at CVS to fill that need before stopping by the post office to mail some last minute cards.

I had taken out a pack of deer tenderloin for supper and we fixed that with those fresh green beans from Tyler's garden and wow was that ever dewisheous. I cut the meat in little bite size pieces then sauteed it in a pan with garlic, onions and olive oil. After browning the meat we added beef bullion and a cup or so of water and the green beans and brought to a boil. We had a pot of white rice on the side and then spooned the meat and beans over it with a little soy sauce, Yikes it that ever good, quick and easy to fix. I still say deer meat is the best red meat you can eat its so clean and has no fat at all. Once again thanks to our mountain friends The Dalton's and especially Andy for his superb method of dressing and preserving the meat. Betsy came by and had a bowl of it and was surprised at how great tasting the dish was as well.

We spoke with our mountain mom, Helen for awhile then Nancy's folks in Michigan. Her dad is about the same and we learned that The Ross Family is getting a blizzard in western Kansas. Sam and Ava will get to see snow for Christmas and we saw a darling picture of Sam in his great grand father Sonny's tractor out on the farm feeding his cattle; both of them had great smiles and I'm sure Sam is having the time of his life as he loves anything that makes noise, especially trucks and tractors.

Well my cold is about gone with just an occasional hack from deep within the lungs plus I'm feeling much stronger. I will try to get in another hour or so play each day this week on the pickle ball court. Did I mention I've harvested 8 beautiful plate size heads of broccoli from my garden this past couple days. The bad thing about that crop it comes to a head all at one time so it looks like we will eat that again tonight. The tomato plants are loaded with green tomato's but no ripe ones yet and the lettuce is as well producing plenty. LATER

No comments: