Friday, December 23, 2011

Thursday

Well today was another busy day with the 6 AM fowl wake up. The morning started out much the usual with my quiet time, a bowl of oatmeal then a ride to the rec on the bike for some pickle ball. It was in the 60's and quite pleasant with the Eastern sky showing signs of day break. I think today was the winter equinox; meaning the shortest day of the year and each day will get progressively longer until June 21st which is the longest day of the year or the summer equinox. Wow I am looking forward to the days getting longer as that means Spring isn't too far away and we can head to our mountain cabin once again.

We had a small crew for pickle ball once again but enough players to make for some good constant play with lots of wet shirts in evidence. I'm still limiting myself to about an hour and a half for this week as I can feel the fatigue setting in after that amount of time. I hope to be back to the full 2 1/2 hours of play after the Christmas break and then get ready for the Good Life Games in early 2012. I stopped by the library for a couple reads before heading home to work outside in the yard, roof and gardens the rest of the morning. I took my leaf blower and cleaned the roof and gutters of leaves and sticks from the 2 big oaks that surround the house; then I mowed and mulched all the debris for the gardens then I hand watered. It was nearly lunch time when I finished and we ate leftovers.

After lunch Nancy made a grocery store run for last minute goodies for Christmas breakfast. I chilled and read the rest of the afternoon and took a cat nap under the nice breeze that was blowing in through the spare bedroom window. Yikes was it ever nice with temps in the middle 70's and the cool breeze from under the big oak. Our friend and neighbor called that she was involved in a crash with her new car and wanted my opinion on what to do and the results the investigating officer of the crash determined. Seems she was at fault according to his investigation but failed to take in a mitigating circumstance presented by the other vehicle that according to witnesses was speeding. I gave her my expert opinion and had her measure the skid marks so we can determine a minimum speed for the other vehicle and then base that on the crush damage and final rest for both vehicles. This calculation may help her with her court case as well as liability.

I picked fresh lettuces, kale, beet greens and a pepper along with some herbs and made a huge salad for supper that we added a grilled chicken breast on top, wow was that ever dewisheous. We spoke with our mountain buddies The Dalton's and wished all of them a Merry Christmas. We learned Kallie had smooched her dad into letting her get another cat as their previous cats had been killed and that Caleb had out killed his dad with deer so far this season. He killed a beautiful buck the other day and I think that made 4 for him and 3 for his dad. That's where we get our dewisheous deer meat. I hope Gerald is keeping the deer on our side of the county thinned out as they have become a nuisance at times in my garden and flower beds.

Well seems the weather in the mountains has been rather nice with temps up into the 50's during the days; that's not bad at all as the Midwest is under winter warning again as well as the northeast. We are having unseasonably warm temps and the garden loves it; however I'm afraid the humidity is starting to become a factor once again so that means the windows closed and the a/c back on probably on Friday. The nights cool down into the 60;s which is not bad but the moisture in the air makes it sticky.

Not much else going on except her folks are about the same at brother Eric's place in Michigan. It seems they have settled in nicely and his condition is still about the same although he loves to eat and has remarked on the good tasting deer meat they prepare that's killed on their property. Grandson Philip is quite the hunter and keeps them in fresh red meat which in our opinion is the best for you and your health. Amy and the kiddos are having a fun time with Tyler's family in Kansas and they have another week before heading back. LATER

No comments: