Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Monday

Well its hard to believe that Christmas is less than 2 weeks away and only 8 more days until the the shortest day of the year and then we can look forward to longer days as well. It was in the low 60's this morning, comfortable with just enough warm in the air to make my ride to the rec pleasurable. After my quiet time and the bowl of oatmeal with a banana i headed out for two plus hours of pickle ball. We had some great play for an hour or so before some of the less experienced showed up and then several of the guys left, oh well. I still got a good workout in.

I came home from the rec and hand watered the gardens and noticed a few beans finally starting to show up on my dozen or so 1/2 runner bean vines, they were just loaded with blooms put now the vines are turning a little yellow so I'm wondering whats missing in the soil. Beans or legumes don't need fertilizing as they make their own nitrogen so I will have to research that problem; anyhow the cukes are growing as well as are the tomato's setting lots of little green ones. The lettuce is nice and I've been adding it too our market bought lettuce but I'm just about ready to quit buying that as well. The squashes as well are setting fruit but the humidity is so hard on squash in Florida as there is a mildew that usually causes the fruit to rot at about an inch or so long. I hate too use any chemicals on preventing this but I believe a copper spray does the trick.

Amy dropped Sam off on her way home from the grocery and we played outside until lunch time. He loves that rooster and that keeps him entertained for 1/2 an hour or more while I work in the garden. After lunch we played cars and trucks, read and rough housed as he likes to wrestle. Nancy and Amy made cookies while she was here before taking the kiddos home for his nap. I think they made or Nancy did three different kinds today; buckeyes, an almond one with a nut in the center and a white powered sugary one. Wow there goes the spare tire!!!

The Payne's our good friends from SFBC and from the Galax, Va came by for some fresh picked collard greens. I gave them 2 grocery sacks from just 2 plants. He is having many of the same health problems Nancy's dad is having; however he is able to still get around with a cane but he is in need of your thoughts and prayers as well. Sarah Ann is doing great for a gal who just turned 80 and is thankfully able to care for him at this point. They visited for quite awhile and raved at Nancy's cookies. It was good to visit and share with them our collards as well the cookies.

Amy and the kiddos came for supper and we made taco salad with some refried beans, once again very yummy. We played after supper and I read books to Sam as he likes the books that make sounds of animals and vehicles. He imitates them so cute. I spoke with our mountain mom, Helen and she said it was 15 degrees there Sunday morning, yikes that is a bit nippy and we certainly don't miss that as we are opening our windows during the day once again. Well not much else for now, LATER

No comments: