Saturday, April 2, 2011

Friday

Well what a difference a day makes, especially when there are no tornado's hovering outside your neighbor. I learned there were 9 of those that touched down here in central Florida and there are still thousands of folks without power. We were certainly lucky here in our 'hood with just a few tree branches and lots of dead limbs in the yard but that took all of an hour to clean up. We never lost power but there was lots of flickering with the lights. Anyhow Friday was a superb day as I opened the morning with my usual few moments to give thanks and reflect on those who need answered prayers and then the usual bowl of boring oatmeal with blueberries and a banana before riding out to the rec on the bike for some 2 1/2 hours of pickle ball.

The day was great with only 8 players and most of these were good players and no general players. We had great exercise, wet shirts and long rallies for the first hour or so with just 6 of us then 2 more came so we had 2 courts going until we all just about gave out. I stopped by the weight room to work on the belly abs and upper arms as I must get ready for the"mountain work" which I'm hoping to start the end of next month, YEA!!! After the weight room I picked up 5 new reads that I had oredered from the library then headed home to work in the garden as Nancy was at her Friday morning Bible study. The rain all 6-8 inches seemed to just drain right through this sandy soil and by evening I was hand watering again. Most of the bib lettuce is starting to bolt but I found a hand full of tomato's that were turning. The kale and Swiss chard need using as well as the parsnips and beets. I picked a couple hot green peppers I started from seeds from our mountain friends pepper plants last year and they have a bite(hot) so I put 2 on my baked potato at supper, wow did that bring out the flavor with a fresh green garden onion and a little sour cream. Amy brought the kids for lunch and we played with them until it was time for their naps.

I then mowed the yard as the rain sent up lots of uneven shoots of grass so this just even the grass and weeds. I harvested some broccoli shoots, sugar peas and Nancy fixed them along with some yellow squash(store bought) in addition to salmon cakes for supper as well. First she fried a couple yellow squash which we loaded with thyme, basil, oregano and dill on top as your tastes dictated. Sam loved the yellow squash and baked potato. he is a good little eater. After the clean up, and bath's the kids headed for home. I settled into the opening baseball game with the Ray's and Orioles and we got whupped 4-1. Well I'm writing this on Saturday morning, LATER.

No comments: