Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Mundane jobs,Hiking and whupping up on Jodie in Hearts




The morning was cool with low temps as the ground was wet from the Sunday evening rain,YEA. The wind did pick up but not enough to dry out as I wanted to burn some brush piles(too windy as well)..... After our quiet time and a nothing exciting breakfast(oatmeal) I started with cleaning out some ditches, taking down the old gate at the foot of our driveway(Jodie and Gerald as well as the dog city family) use the driveway which will eventually become a road with an official sign and named Red Hawk Ridge(don't mail anything yet as the county gov't has to vote on this creation of a new road)....... I managed to lug the cumbersome gate(by hand) back to the top where I spent the better part of the afternoon sanding, wire brushing and getting it ready to be painted again after standing guard for over 10 years. Gerald lifted the big post from the hole with his tractors hydraulic lift and a chain while dodging a nest of large bumble bees. It seems they had a nest in a rotten log that was next to the gate. I also got tangled up with a nest of bumble bees(its usually yellow jackets up here) while pulling out some stumps in the backwoods where I had been clearing earlier( no stings but I put a hurting on several).......I then picked Japanese Beetles from my wine berry bushes as it seems to be their favorite dish next to the rose bushes. The little bugs have a defense system that usually allows them to escape, but I figured it out. As soon as they detect any motion on the plant they drop immediately to the ground so now I approach them with a large plastic bowl with a little water in the bottom and place it beneath the leaf or plant they are munching on. Instead of trying to pick them off I touch the leaf and kerplunk their swimming in my bowl then I dispose of them quickly with a number 9 1/2(be sure to drain the water first or you will have a wet sock if you dry this method)...... The clouds opened up again as we made dinner(supper) grilled chicken (Joe's favorite-another story) grilled zuchnni and yellow squash and a fresh garden salad (we need company soon -I'm eating toooo healthy)...... The clouds moved on after a nice 1/4 inch of the wet gold and we took off for the top on our first hike of the day. The air is so fresh and clean with a little fog moving into or from the hollers(low places for flat landers) and WOW the temp in the 50's. Now that's N.C. mountain weather!!!!..... Jodie and Gerald(they are childless this week as both boys are not with them for the first time) came up from down below, walking, carrying a flashlight. We played Spades(boys vs girls) which was a diaster for the boys team as we were beaten 500 plus to 2(they set us 5 times) but we boys did some whupping on the next 2 games of Hearts. Gerald won the first game(close) and I some how slaughtered them on the next game by 40 points(OK- Jodie when is the butt whipping going to take place). We ended playing at nearly 11:30 which is late by Gerald's standards but we kept pumping coffee in him so he probably didn't sleep at all. Of course I popped some Orville which was to say the least, fantastic....Well it was a Great day and sleep was good with an extra blanket as it was down in the high 40's. Later missing our family and grand babies(Annsley will be here tomorrow, YEA).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The Japanese Beetle commentary cracked me up.

Jodi said...

I can't believe you're asking me to spank you right here on a public blog, where your wife can read it. Have you no shame, man?