Monday, July 21, 2008

Mundane Jobs Early,Making Blackberry Jelly and Starting Batch of Blackberry Vino



Well it was a little bit warmer for a second morning in a row. It was 68 this AM. I thought I would be stiff this morning after playing softball for the first time in years. I guess using a chainsaw, hoe and shovel regularly have helped keep these muscles in shape. The only effect from ball playing was the deep bruise on my glove hand from trying to catch a hard line drive.


After my quiet time I found once again there was no deer damage;however if we don't get a little rain I'm afraid the deer will be checking out my beans as they are young and tender. I plan on picking a few beans by this week- end as I'm having to water by hand daily.


After Nancy and I got back from our hike to the top we had a nice fresh garden salad. Once lunch was over we started on making jelly. Let me tell you that is one messy job and the number of pots and pans you use is unbelievable. I had picked enough berries to make a 9 jar batch with enough berry juice for nearly another batch. We froze that juice until we get more jars and I can pick another gallon of berries. I then started on making my first batch of vino from scratch. The Internet has all kinds of recipes for Blackberry wine so it shouldn't be too difficult.


After our supper of fresh fried yellow squash and boiled green beans and new potato's,(thanks Mechelle and Andy) we took a hike out to the mailbox as it was just starting to cool down. When we got back to the house it was starting to get dark so I hand watered the gardens and back yard. Well not much exciting going on(as you can see) after the busy week-end. Our son, Bobby just called to say he was on his way home after a 4 day wilderness camp out in the mountains of Georgia. He took a group of young people hiking, rappelling,rock climbing and white water rafting. Well better go missing our family and especially our grand babies Ava and Annsley.

No comments: