Tuesday, July 15, 2008

50's this AM,Yard Mowed,a Hike and VBS



Another beautiful cool morning with lots of sunshine and a heavy dew. The gardens were spared once again as there was no deer damage. After my quiet time and a hot steaming cup of green tea, Nancy decided to make buckwheat pancakes. I walked over to the edge of the woods and picked about 1/2 cup of fresh huckleberries which she put in the batter. A couple of fried eggs and some smoked turkey bacon completed the breakfast.Now there was some good eaten'(as they say up here).


After breakfast I started with the weed eating(edging) as the dew was heavy in the grass. By the time I finished trimming the whole place the sun had nearly dried the grass enough to mow however,Nancy and I took a hike to the top. The hike was uneventful and we saw no one.


After returning I started on the mowing and was finished just before 1 PM. I then spread 2 sacks of lime on the new grass in back. I then hoed all the plants in the upper garden, pulled a few weeds and picked some squash from the lower garden. I then re-transplanted some potted petunias(with some commercial potting soil) as they weren't looking to good from my woods dirt and horse manure. Hopefully this change of material will cause them to perk up.


After a peanut butter sandwich for lunch I dug up some volunteer maple and sassafras trees and transplanted then in the wood strip between our (barking dog's) neighbors. Eventually I hope the thick dense under brush will help dampen the noise and totally obstruct any view of their several trailers and dog kennels. While the dogs haven't been a serious problem so far we are trying to make do and lessen the threat of any impact caused by 30 plus dogs just down the hill.


After an early dinner of pork chops, boiled potato's and canned greens(kale, mustard greens and collards) we showered and got ready for VBS at Cornerstone. Once again we had a good turn out with several new faces. Nancy and myself was a helper in arts and crafts. We loss one of our stalwart members at Cornerstone in Sandy Benge as she suffered what may turn out to be a heart attack. Keep Sandy and her family in your thoughts and prayers.


On the way home we saw countless numbers of deer eating in the recently mowed hay fields along the roadways as well as the full moon over Bull Head Mountain. Well, Later missing our families, grand babies, Ava an Annsley

No comments: