Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tuesday

The day started out with temps rather warm for here with the high 60's as we once again slept in until nearly 8 o'clock. It was looking like another day of bright sunshine with deep blue skies and a slight breeze. While the temps did climb to the middle 80's the shaded areas were nice with no or very little humidity. After a bad breakfast for me; 2 pieces of blueberry buckle heated with butter on top, Ahhh!!! that was good but I just felt stuffed all morning until Nancy brought out the cold leftover meatloaf for lunch. That is a strong weakness for me as we had pita bread slathered with mayo, sweet onion, meatloaf in the middle with tomato and lettuce on top. Wow do we know how to put back on the 5 pounds I had dropped the last couple weeks. Lets get away from food!!!

I checked all the gardens after my quiet time and the blueberry buckle, actually there was one piece left so we bagged it and eventually took it over to our mountain mom in the afternoon. I had to get it away from us. Speaking of blueberries I cranked up the golf cart and head to the patch on top at Helen's to once again pick about a quart of the berries. They sure are nice and so plentiful and I dearly hate to see them go to waste, looks as if with a little rain there are still unripe ones for later pickings. Nancy and I headed out on our first hike of the day. We took our time just enjoying the views and the ambiance of the woods. We got back and had a delicious lunch then just chilled while I watched a little of the US OPEN while she Facebooked. We decided to take a golf cart ride over to scenic valley and visited with our "mountain mom, Helen" and on the way we saw where harvest time has begun with the pumpkins. Loads of the orange round balls where being tossed from the ground to workers in these huge cardboard crates. The fields were piled with thousands of pumpkins. We had a nice visit with Helen as we sat out on her back porch and stared off into the distances as she a wonderful view all the way into the mountain ranges of Virginia. Such a peaceful setting with just a few farmhouses interrupting the mountain views. She spoiled us with an orange dream sickle, oh my are they ever good.

Well we headed out for the cabin and stopped along the way to shoot(take pictures) a large black Angus bull and his harem, wow was he ever a good looking specimen; what nice porterhouses he would make. Seems after this past weekend of eating good (fat) for 3 days I'm having a hard time to adjusting to more mundane fare like vegetables and salad. Well we visited with Carl Hudson and a friend as we met them in the drive as they were heading to the mailbox on a 4 wheeler. We caught up on whats been going on in our lives in about 30 minutes. It was good to know they are doing fine and have been traveling all over the northeast. He is retired and a couple years my senior as he mentioned they were celebrating their 50 high school reunion, wow now that I checked my figures(hands and toes) I'm only 4 years shy of reaching that mark as well, where did all those years go??

We got back to the cabin and decided once again on what was for supper. I had dug spuds a couple days ago and had nipped a few so we decided to boil them up and add fresh parsley and butter as well as sauteed some fresh yellow and Zucchini squash with garlic in olive oil and no meat. Yikes is that ever good especially with a little soy sauce sprinkled on top. After supper I cleaned up the dishes and Nancy retrieved the laundry hanging outside on the clothesline, my what a nice clean smell they have after being in the bright sunshine all day.

We decide on another evening hike as we try to strengthen our legs and resolve to lose a little of the extra we put on this past holiday of 3 days of gorging ourselves. So it was pleasant and really neat as we walked through the shadows with the sunset barely visible over Bullhead Mountain. The evening birds and insects were starting to sing their melodious sounds in the cool evening air. We noticed the hoof prints where a deer had been coming down our trail at the back of the cabin as we headed up to the top and we saw 2 very large deer near the top as they jumped to safety into the woods. After getting back to the cabin; the breeze had subsided and the darkness that brings some moisture was evident so I decided it was a good time to burn trash. With 1 match I soon had a nice fire going of course I used lighter knot and newspaper but I soon had a really nice fire then I just added the trash; everything that isn't metal or I can't compost goes in the fire. Well we spent the evening with me watching on the computer,the Ray's annihilate the Red Sox 14-5 and Nancy with RFD, HGTV and The Dugger's. We finally called it an evening around midnight. LATER

No comments: