Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Monday --Labor Day

Well did we ever sleep in this AM as it was after 8 before we rolled out of the sack(old USAF expression) to mild temps at about 60 degrees. After a cup of hot green tea and my quiet time I ventured out into the "never before breathed" fresh crisp air to walk around the gardens. The sun was just streaming through the very tops of the trees and the birds were singing away. Oh my what a glorious feeling when your in the woods and surrounded by all things GOD made. The smell is just intoxicating!!! Anyhow I'm trying to store that moment somewhere in the recesses of my mind for future days when we head back to Hot, Muggy Florida.

I waved to neighbor Jodi and son Gabriel as I heard them crank up and leave for Raleigh, hopefully we will get to see them again sometime in October, we will see hubby Gerald as he comes up regular and especially now that deer season opens soon. Gerald and I did a number on the gals Friday night in Spades with a game a piece for each so we have a rubber game to settle the score on our next get together.

After hanging a load of laundry Nancy and I headed out to the top of the mountain where we saw and visited with lots of weekenders; Roddy and Kathy, Tommy and Carol and waved at Fred. The hike was really great with just enough coolness in the shaded areas to keep you refreshed and enough bright warm sunshine on top to make you long for the shaded areas. Wow the air was so clear we could see the buildings in downtown Winston-Salem and possibly as far Greensboro. The leg felt wonderful and if I hadn't been asked how I was doing I won't have given the leg a second thought. I received lots of well wishes, thoughts and prayers for my health and they ALL were greatly appreciated.

After a great lunch of salad which we ate outside on the front porch I settled in to watch the US OPEN and Nancy once again busied herself in the kitchen making a blueberry(I picked fresh growing on top) buckle( cake in a pan) and baked beans for our small group get together at the Dalton Ranch. What a beautiful afternoon as we drove along the parkway to their place, except for the spill over of the baked beans onto Nancy's pants and shirts. Yikes what a mess but we survived that incident somehow my driving contributed to that fiasco. The food was awesome once again with Andy making some deer burgers mixed in with the beef burgers and dogs as well as cole slaw, beans, squash casserole. chips, cake etc. The deer was just awesome and if I never ate beef again it wouldn't bother me as the venison is so good with no hormones and very little fat. Andy fixed me up with a couple packs of deer meat to bring home for later use. THANKS ANDY!!!

After eating and sitting on the back porch, throwing the football with kids(that Kallie is quite the football thrower and receiver) we headed inside just before dark to set up the Sequence board. This night it was all guys as the gals were getting whipped 3-1(best of 5) until they decided it should be best of 7. We still prevailed with a victory of 4-3 for a change. A fun time was had by all. Well got home in time to see the end of the Hokies and the Broncos game . That was a good game except the Hokies let that one get away. LATER

No comments: