Sunday, September 5, 2010

Saturday

Well it was a nippy start to the day with temps at 52 with a strong gusty wind at times which made it feel even colder. The skies were a deep blue and just magnificent when outlined by the green tree tops. After a bowl of peaches, blueberries and banana and my quiet time I headed out with long pants on and a flannel shirt over a t-shirt; it was that nippy. I did some weed whacking and ran up on a large hole in the ground with hundreds of angry yellow jacket bees swarming, luckily I managed to get away before we became personally acquainted which translates to I never got stung. There was a young fellow last week who was mowing up on top not to far from where I was picking blueberries who got into a nest of them in the ground and he became real acquainted several times before he managed to run from the area. Needless to say that area still has high grass although I did see an empty plastic bottle in the area. Well back to my nest of bees I took a plastic pop bottle and stuffed some old rag inside to act as a wick then poured some gasoline in the bottle and turned it upside down in the hole when the bees had settled down. After our guests left for the evening I poured more gas in the hole to get those bees I had missed during the day.

After playing with the bees and edging I headed to the area of my garden where I had been growing about 30 hills of Kennebec spuds. I had dug a few hills last weeks and was surprised at how few I found and it was the same today. I may have dug a total of 1/2 bushel all together but they sure have a wonderful flavor. After diggings spuds and tearing down some old tomato plants and stakes Nancy fixed us a couple 'mater sandwiches for lunch, Yumm, Yumm!!!

She was ready to go off on her hike and I was ready to rest a minute or two(didn't want to overdo it) so she headed out by herself to the top. She was gone about an hour an half with the camera and ran into lots of mountain top neighbors and friends. I just chilled watching a little NCAA football and tennis. We took off on the golf cart when she got back to check on the mail and I received another get well card today, wow thanks to all who sent me cards and well wishes on Facebook.

Well about 4 PM I put on the chicken for tonight's feed and slow grilled it with a couple pieces of Hickory wood on the grates. Wow did that ever make some great tasty meat. There was all kinds of tasty food food brought by all with scalloped tomato's, deviled eggs, 'tater salad and green beans, Nancy made her famous squash casserole and there was pound cake with strawberry's. What a feast.

After eating we cleared the table, washed the dishes and put the gloves on for a knock down game of Sequence; once again the gals finagled their way to a win with some "less than scrupulous play." But a win is a win and I'm not one to whine about so at least I was sleeping with a winner. Saturday nights have not been the same since Sequence!!!

Well its off to worship in the AM at Cornerstone and Nancy and I just love these folks. Sure do miss our grand babies though; Ava, Annsley and Samuel who is 6 months old, yesterday. LATER

No comments: